Technical Mk1 Fuel light

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 Fuel light

Jak1704

I have got a White Punto MK1 1.2, first car!

few things that are wrong wid it but you know i have got used to them, like reverse always crunches, clutch is on the floor, and my gear stick struggles into gears, oh and my emergency fan comes on even tho i have got enought water and i havnt been going fast, jus seems to happen when i sit in traffic or at the drive thru!

But My Petrol light does my head in the most!!

well actually its the full gauge! i can have half a tank, if i go round an island or corner or sometimes even a bend in the road, it drops to maybe the red, then the light comes on, or i can be sitting in traffic and my gauge from 3/4 full will drop to maybe a 1/4 full, and if i have only got a 1/4 of a tank, i can get up to 40mph and my light will come on and it wil show as no petrol!!

Any Ideas? i have had the sensor checked out and everthing is fine, so any ideas?:confused:

Not really sure what it will be, but my Punto does the same thing when turning corners . . . I guess it's just the meter in the tank going down as the fuel sloshes to one side.

Last edited:
Mine does this too, but not to such a huge extent.

My fuel gauge goes a bit mental when I go round a roundabout too.. But it's always done that.. far as I know, they all do... and it doesn't cause any problems.

Dito, I was told its because most cars don't instantly update the gage. So the niddle only moves every 40 seconds or so were as on MK1 punto it updates instantly so when the car leans the reading will change instantly.

"reverse always crunches, clutch is on the floor".

Yes, mine has always done this, If I feel resistance when putting it into reverse, I dip the clutch again, and if that makes no difference, put it into first let the clutch up a bit and then try again. Usually works fine this way, no nasty noises!

"oh and my emergency fan comes on even tho i have got enought water and i havnt been going fast, jus seems to happen when i sit in traffic or at the drive thru!"

This is design of all water cooled cars, there is enough air getting into the system to cool the engine when its moving, but when its stationary theres no moving air, hence the fan is required.

"reverse always crunches, clutch is on the floor".

Yes, mine has always done this, If I feel resistance when putting it into reverse, I dip the clutch again, and if that makes no difference, put it into first let the clutch up a bit and then try again. Usually works fine this way, no nasty noises!

"oh and my emergency fan comes on even tho i have got enought water and i havnt been going fast, jus seems to happen when i sit in traffic or at the drive thru!"

This is design of all water cooled cars, there is enough air getting into the system to cool the engine when its moving, but when its stationary theres no moving air, hence the fan is required.

there is no emergency fan...there is only the fan :D (use the fan luke! lol)

The gearboxes on punto's are generally pretty naff. My mk2 does the exact same, and hates going into first to boot! Just a quirk of the box mate ;)

Back