Technical mk1 fiat punto radiator fan will not work???????

Currently reading:
Technical mk1 fiat punto radiator fan will not work???????

jay brennan

hey guys. over the christmas holidays my girlfriends mk1 punto decided to start over heating. when i filled it with water it would leak out the radiator. i have put a new radiator and thermostat on and when i was bleeding the system the radiator fan would not kick in so it will keep over heating. i have checked the fuses and they seem ok and i have no idea what else it could be. much help would be appreciated. cheers jay

sorry to bring up an old thread but this is exactly my problem. - I really have no idea what i am doing,

Check Fuse - its easy todo
If in dowt - replace it anyway - its cheap enough

Next Test the Fan - Stick the Posi of the fan onto battery
Negi on negi of battery - does it work?
if yes - there is a problem else where
If no- theres your problem

If Yes - Check the Relay, get a low 12v supply onto 2 pins to activate switch
Then use a Multi-meter set to continuity to see if the switch is activated or not

If the Gate opens and closes - ie relay works - problem is else where

Next i'd be checking the Temperature sensor, there cheapish - but it means dumping coolant again

If a new sensor doesn't cure the problem, start the Run around where the wires go, start checking for breaks or signs of shorting or melting

if that seems to be good - i'd guess you'll be looking at the ECU

However if the Fan isn't working, then you can get a little Black box device, that reads temperature of the Rad, and when it reach's that temperature, it'll activate fan for you

Its better then having a Switch inside the car, AND it looks better to any possible buyers in the future :)

Ziggy

Back