General MK1 96 Punto - Rattling Brake

Currently reading:
General MK1 96 Punto - Rattling Brake

Beetham89

Hi.
I have recently been experiencing a few problems with the offside break on my MK1 96 Punto.

It makes a metallic rattling when i go over a bump or un-even surface.
I had took it off a few months ago and took a sticker off that made it slightly un-even and tightened the casing.

It was ok for a week but now it is back and even more annoying.
Has anyone had a similar/the same problem, and have you manged to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Lewis

Is it the front brake or the rear one?

Check the thickness of the front pads. If they're really worn out they will rattle (until they fall out).

Failing that :)D) it's more likely to be the front disc shield. It's a thin piece of stamped steel and with age it becomes deformed (people manage to bend it when changing the wheels etc.) and it can rattle or scrape against the disc or the suspension. It's not tooo serious. You can fix it by levering it away from where it's touching.

Rear brake should not rattle at all, under any circumstances.

Ralf S.

Thanks for the reply Ralf.

It is the front brake and i really want to tear my hair out (lol)

It had new pads fitted just before i bought it (i did check) and there is still quite a bit of meat on them.

I shall whip it off again today and have another look, i just cant seem to locate the source.

Cheers

Lewis

Last edited:
Had a similar problem and it was the caliper guide bolts rattling around in the mounting bracket.

The guides in the bracket wear over time and the only real cure is to buy a new mounting bracket or find some way of making the guide bolts 'thicker' (don't forget they still need to move freely in the bracket).

Easy way to check if it's this is to lightly apply the brake when you go over a bump - if it doesn't rattle, then Bob's your uncle.

Hope this helps!(y)

Back