Technical Mk1 75sx Punto Airbag warning light on.

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 75sx Punto Airbag warning light on.

Weebl

So I failed the swedish MOT due to the airbag light.

I've got a -97 Punto 75sx mk1 and it's doing fairly ok for the moment so it would suck to have to take it to the scrapyard because of the airbag.

I have got until july 25th to fix the problem and bring it back for a re-check.

I have tried to find any information about the problem here in the forum, but all the similar questions always seem to end up about the mk2 punto.

Anyways, is it possible to connect a diagnostic-tool to the mk1 punto? What tool and where do I connect it?

Where is the airbag ECU? I've seen the unit on picture and it looks like the ECU in the engine but smaller and with the text "airbag" on it.

Any other suggestions or tips that may help?

Yeah, i've read about that... But as you say, if I return for the re-check of the airbag warning light and claim that I've never had an airbag, I'd reckon they would get a bit suspisious.

So instead of paying up twice what the car is worth Im going for the ugly fix.

I intend to connect the airbag light to the injector light. BUT, when I read the manual it says that the injector light comes on when key is set to "MAR" and turns off after a few seconds, same with oil pressure light. But it doesn't say so in the description of the airbag light.

Everywhere else I've read about thís ugly fix on other cars they say that it is supposed to come on for a few seconds and then turn off. Is it the same on the punto?

Just need to make sure that I don't do something stupid here...

I intend to fix it properly when It's passed the MOT.

Worked like a charm!

But I did it the easy way, I just put the injector fault light cable and plugged it in the airbag spot and put the airbag light cable on an empty spot that didn't connect to a light.

Most cars don't have an injector fault light and since Fiats are rare in Sweden due to their bad reputation, the MOT inspector didn't think much about that light not coming on at all.

can any one explain to me how to do this? I have a basic idea on how to wire the injection light into the airbag light but not fully sure.

FYI

The Testers Manual
5.4 Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS)

Information
This inspection applies to airbags, seat belt pretensioners and seat belt load limiters fitted as original equipment.

The SRS malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may display a symbol similar to that shown below, or one depicting a person wearing a seat belt. Alternatively, the letters SRS or another symbol may be displayed.

Seat belt load limiters are used on some vehicles to minimise seat belt inflicted injury in violent collisions.

This is generally achieved by releasing a little more excess belt webbing when a great deal of force is applied to the belt.

The simplest type of load limiter is a fold sewn into the belt webbing. The stitches holding the fold in place are designed to come apart when a high amount of force is applied to the belt, thereby releasing an extra bit of webbing.

A more commonly used limiter is a mechanical type, such as those which use a torsion bar in the retractor mechanism. These cannot usually be readily seen or inspected.

Seat belt pretensioners may be fitted to some seat belts. Once activated a warning device may display.

Method of Inspection
1. As far as practicable, check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and not obviously defective.

2. Turn on the ignition and check the presence and operation of any Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indictor lamp(s) (MIL)

3. Check the presence and condition of any seat belt load limiters and/or pretensioners fitted as original equipment.

Reason for rejection
1. An airbag obviously missing or defective.

Note: A passenger airbag that has been switched off is not a Reason for Rejection.

2. A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:

. inoperative

. indicating

Back