General MK 5 Panda 4x4 due, 2023?

Currently reading:
General MK 5 Panda 4x4 due, 2023?

soc

Looking to replace my Panda Twinair 4x4 next year and would like to get the replacement to the MK4

Any idea when the new MK 5 Panda 4x4 will be launched, possibly 2023?

Italy’s too expensive, and labour relations too difficult, to build small cars with such tight margins there. The replacement for the Panda will be a Stellantis rebadge, built in a low-cost country. The 4x4 has bit the dust early due to the demise of the Twinair engine.

A search will pull up several threads on this.

Italy’s too expensive, and labour relations too difficult, to build small cars with such tight margins there. The replacement for the Panda will be a Stellantis rebadge, built in a low-cost country. The 4x4 has bit the dust early due to the demise of the Twinair engine.

A search will pull up several threads on this.
Sad , really sad!

Rumor has it at Italian dealers that this summer the Panda 4x4 wil get a Mild Hybrid engine, not certain if it will be the 69hp 1.0 Mild Hybrid like all other Panda's, or something else.

A Mk5 Panda 4x4 will not be available any time soon, if ever.

Rumor has it at Italian dealers that this summer the Panda 4x4 wil get a Mild Hybrid engine, not certain if it will be the 69hp 1.0 Mild Hybrid like all other Panda's, or something else.

A Mk5 Panda 4x4 will not be available any time soon, if ever.
End of an era , if he mark 5 Panda will not come as a 4x4 variant. Maybe a Japanese option maybe the only option, such as a Suzuki Ignis etc

The Yaris Cross is available with AWD, but only on the top-of-the-range, so it’s nearly twice the price (and nearly twice the size). Excellent car though, and —unlike any Fiat — a pukka hybrid.

Stellantis.... Buy yourself a new Fiat... I think not nothing much against Peugeot but they are not my cup of tea. Fiat I am afraid is dead and gone and its a great shame as they offered something worth having. The new "Panda" might as well have a new name too. There are jsut a handful of new 4x4s left in the system and I am considering one at this time. There is no choice of trim and colours left though and I dont want two white ones so we shall see whats available, I just hope that people who can look after the twinair are still available.

Not sure what all this soldier on cobblers is about though. The Panda is still a very acceptable vehicle and particularly at its price point. It doe not soldier on in my book it caried on unbowed.

Stellantis.... Buy yourself a new Fiat... I think not nothing much against Peugeot but they are not my cup of tea. Fiat I am afraid is dead and gone and its a great shame as they offered something worth having. The new "Panda" might as well have a new name too. There are jsut a handful of new 4x4s left in the system and I am considering one at this time. There is no choice of trim and colours left though and I dont want two white ones so we shall see whats available, I just hope that people who can look after the twinair are still available.

Not sure what all this soldier on cobblers is about though. The Panda is still a very acceptable vehicle and particularly at its price point. It doe not soldier on in my book it caried on unbowed.
I fully agree with your comments. As a long life Fiat owner from Fiat Barchetta to my current 2013 Fiat Panda 4x4 Twinair, which has clocked up 135k stress free miles, I can’t see myself replacing it with a Stallantis Panda copy with no character. RIP Fiat ?!

Don’t get me wrong, I love mine, but we’re kidding ourselves if we don’t recognise that it’s a ten year old facelift of a twenty year old car. What’s it going to look like in another four years? If anything “soldiering on” is too positive a description; “limping on“ would be more like it. As for the “price point”, the 4x4 has got a pass as there’s never been any real competition for it, but the rest of the range isn’t cheap anymore, and it needs to be to compete in a category in which there are many excellent alternatives.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the plan to replace the Panda is 2-pronged.

(1) for the normal the Panda's the Fiat Centoventi EV

(2) For the 4x4 and Cross, not a Fiat but ... the new small Jeep. It's been described as sub-B-segment smaller than the Renegade. Although, it may not actually have 4x4 at first.

The talk of the 4x4 being discontinued is I think an extrapolation of a comment by Fiat that it is 'temporarily unavailable' with strong suggestion that this is/was owing to TwinAir engine failing to meet the pass grade for the new, most stringent emissions standard Euro6D-final.

However, a piece on Fiat Italy's website suggests they have overcome this by reworking etc 1.2 Fire engine to meet Euro6d by running it with LPG... see https://www.fiat.it/panda and scroll down to the engines. It shows the Hybrid, but you can click GDL to the right of that to read this (in Italian) "A novelty for the Panda family: the 1.2 LPG E6D-Final engine with start & stop completes the ECO MY2022 offer. Great in any situation, the LPG engine reduces your CO2 emissions and saves you costs. And if you love strong experiences, we have great news for you: the E6D-Final LPG engine is available across the range, including the new Panda Cross."

Don't hold your breath... but this does seem to suggest the issue of 'reworking the engine' to meet E6D was perhaps true, and so, maybe, the 4x4 will live on (in places where LPG is still readily available, like Europe)

Last edited:
I am surprised we have to wait another 4 years as it sounds like the from 2023 only the new 500e will be on sale. As far as 4x4 though everyone needs to remember this is much simpler with electric motors as you just put on each wheel so I think a 4x4 electric Panda is highly likely at some point.

As long as the Fiat cars of the future still have the unique Fiat basic utility I don't mind which platform they build them on.

The much-anticipated revived Fiat Panda will arrive next year as a “less is more” crossover to take on the Dacia Sandero, boss Olivier Francois has all but confirmed to Autocar.
Oh deers.... Why not fit bigger wheels we all know they are necessary. The current 4x4 is light to drive and still capable of big trips, it does perform way outside expectations for an 875cc car and can be economical if driven right. I remain unconvinced that this ugly newcomer will be anything like as good. In the unlikely event that parts and engineering support remain available I hope Noop will see me through until a Twizzy sized EV will do me. I have owned 8 PSA vehicles and found them expensive to maintain and with an unhealthy appetie for parts additionally their customer services is something I choose never to experience again. Unless these things are very cheap they are of no interest at all to me.

Will be interesting to see what Fiat do with this. It feels like they have got the right idea of the 500/600 line being more premium so hopefully that means the B segment Panda is a basic car without indeed or unwanted features. Fiat will want to maintain marketshare in Italy so pricing is going to have to be Dacia like.

Fiat's dealer customer service is bad too so I don't see using a PSA platform will make any difference really and the PSA cars seem to be as reliable as anything else. The 208 and Corsa get good feedback on build and reliability.

Will be interesting to see what Fiat do with this. It feels like they have got the right idea of the 500/600 line being more premium so hopefully that means the B segment Panda is a basic car without indeed or unwanted features. Fiat will want to maintain marketshare in Italy so pricing is going to have to be Dacia like.

Fiat's dealer customer service is bad too so I don't see using a PSA platform will make any difference really and the PSA cars seem to be as reliable as anything else. The 208 and Corsa get good feedback on build and reliability.
Not sure the 208/corsa have that good a rep…I’ve friends of friends (ones a sister and ones a mother of friends) and both complained of problems with heater fans and binding rear brakes, one has a ‘seat belt alert’ that’s driving her nuts and tin work that really does feel like tin, poor service getting them rectified, from their initial dealers, but rectified at another.
From what lots of folk I know, and those on here have said, it seems that good service is in short supply across the whole industry these days. It also doesn’t help that dealers can’t get parts.

One thing's for sure, the current Panda is the last Italian one.
That is a shame though, I quite love the 319 Panda although not the latest ones with the infotainment screens & the 4x4 bumpers on all specs, just looks like it's trying to be something it isn't, also how much they've jumped up in price, I was browsing Thames Fiat website the other day where I brought my Panda pre reg 5 years ago for £7,995 with optional colour, a set of mats & a year's tax thrown in & nowadays the cheapest pre reg Panda is nearly £15k, to be honest recently the whole principal of the Panda has literally gone out the window, cheap, basic utilitarian transport, not any more

Back