General mk 1 punto

Currently reading:
General mk 1 punto

stepuntomk1

hi had my Mk1 punto delivered today bought of ebay none runner tried a battery on it today and had a go at starting it the key light lit and then turned of and solenoid clicked about four times and stopped IE battery dead ill buy a new one tomorrow the car hasnt been on the road since 2006 as the tax says so a full sevice will allso be done any advice would be welcome:worship:

like you have sed new battery, some nice fresh petrol as the stuff init might of gon off (n) check the oil and coolant levels and check under the oil filler cap for a mayo/ creemey looking oil on the underside of cap as this could be nackerd Head gasget (n) and just a genral check over
hi did all that had to strip starter motor and give a good kleen and it goes now next thing mot:slayer:

change all fluids; will need new discs/pads and posssibly calipers;consider renewing or at least inspecting the rear drums/shoes/wheel cylinders/handbrake cables.....

change all fluids; will need new discs/pads and posssibly calipers;consider renewing or at least inspecting the rear drums/shoes/wheel cylinders/handbrake cables.....
hi there i will do your cheeklist today

Hi,
Welcome to fiatforum. I have found the forum very helpful; it has saved me money and hassle.
My MK1 I bought new in 1997 and has now done 220,000m and is used by my daughter; you may find my other posts helpful.
As your car has been unused for a while you will need to change the cambelt and tensioner; see guides section; also refer to section/posts on cooling system; there was a recall on the rear brake pipes due to corrosion (why oh why is steel used instead of copper?); also look out for corrosion of seat belt mounting and the rear beam axle where the springs fit...

Hi,
Welcome to fiat forum. I have found the forum very helpful; it has saved me money and hassle.
My MK1 I bought new in 1997 and has now done 220,000m and is used by my daughter; you may find my other posts helpful.
As your car has been unused for a while you will need to change the cam belt and tension er; see guides section; also refer to section/posts on cooling system; there was a recall on the rear brake pipes due to corrosion (why oh why is steel used instead of copper?); also look out for corrosion of seat belt mounting and the rear beam axle where the springs fit...
hi tim Ive done the usual service and cheeked it for the mot and its in good condition ill take your advice on cam belt and tension er the brake lines have been coated by fiat i have the receipt but if it fails on them ill make my own out of copper

had to fit a new alternator today as my one had seized bit of a fiddly job it took me an hour and noticed a small hole in my sump the list goes on and on(y)

Rust will be a big issue. Go over the floor plan with a microscope. Lift the carpets and check the jack points and sills.

Dont even think about running the old coolant. Drain it refill with water and bleed. Now add some Radflush and clean the system to the instructions. Chances are the rad springs a leak but better to know about a hole than have it blocked with sludge. When done fit red coolant and bleed.

well changed the sump today bit fiddly but worth it and snaped one of the small bolts :mad:

Just got to under seal the car ready for the mot i was quit suprised that it was so clean for the age of the car

Just got to under seal the car ready for the mot i was quit suprised that it was so clean for the age of the car

rear floor pans were always the Achilles heal just like on later puntos so make sure any localised corrosion halted and stopped so atmosphere cant attack it further
might be worth lifting rear carpets and checking for damp here too if you intend keeping car:)

Back