Technical missing in low revs

Currently reading:
Technical missing in low revs

for those that came to red dot on sunday would have heard what my car sounds like :eek:

it was in the garage recently to sort the slipped belt and replace the inevitable bent valves. but since its been back... i still dont think shes quite right.

she seems to be burbling ALOT worse than usual in the low revs and shes a little slow on the uptake tbh... but soon as you hit about 3k she flys.

pete (gsr) said something about her overfueling in the low revs and something about a water temp sender :confused: that thinks the car is always cold.

but it sounds like a slight miss fire, but then soon as you put foot down it clears.. but then slow down its pack.. the car shakes a fair bit and the zhast knocks around. she was not liking the 50 zone on the M1 in 5th thats for sure! she sounded like she wanted to stall, so i had to keep her in 4th.. which was ok cos it was quicker to speed up when speed turned back to normal :D

but anyway.... any idea?

Lambda Sensor is what i suggest i may be thinking too simply but that def sounds like any of my cars with dodgy Lambda's if it is then it will get worse over the week untill you have to floor it everywhere to stop the car stalling. Have you no engine light yet as i have found that it doesnt come on untill it is completely knackered. Dunno if this helps you.
Stuart

it doesnt actually stall or anything tho... as chris said in the other thread... i sounds like a flat 4 :eek: she thinks shes a bloody scooby

Sorry does that mean that it sounds like a tank in idiot language for me.
It could just be the start of the Lambda going as i have had them go Progressionally, If not then its Coil's, plugs and leads time even if you have checked/replaced recently if you have electrical equiptment, Ice or anything that could have a Bad earth this can contribute to your problem. Dont ask me the science of how but im pretty sure that its possible.
Sum1 tell me if im wrong as i cannot remember why i know this so i could have just dreamt it up 1 night in my sleep.

Your Best Bet is the Lambda or Coils then IMO shame that no one else has come up with a definitive answer yet. Have you got any amps or anything that could be giving a bad earth because that could potentially be disasterous.

considering the recent work the timing should be top of your list. garages dont have the correct timing tools, so they use the more traditional "guess" method, which often leads to the timing been out, which would cause the exact same symptoms you are experiencing, if the exhaust cam was late by 2 teeth for example.

also consider a new valve not seating correctly if they diidnt celan up the valve seats correctly.

and also consider abad seal on the head gasket if they didnt skim the head.

all of these problems can be identifed with a simple 10min compression test.

pete was talking about the coolant temp sensor, when faulty the ecu assumes a constant temperature which results in underfueling when cold and overfueling when hot.

Last edited:
well the garage man had it running for ages before i collected it, and he even drove it out of the garage, so i thought he would have noticed if he hadnt done the timing right? :confused:

it ended up needing a new cog pully thingie, beacause the old one, has indents in the teeth which they tried to grind out but then decided against reusing

i wouldnt try to guess what the man was thinking, reading minds isnt really my thing, but i do know how to fix cars. check your compression, its important.

Last edited:
well ive had a word with my dad and hes gonna sort out a temp sensor to fit at the weekend cos im gonna have to go back, and if that dont fix it it's gonna be a garage job for compression test. i rate dont wanna be without my car for another 3 weeks or whatever.... what damange could be caused if i continued to drive it with this problem?.... not that i have... went to drive it yesterday... wouldnt start :rolleyes: flat battery i think :mad:

well ive had a word with my dad and hes gonna sort out a temp sensor to fit at the weekend cos im gonna have to go back, and if that dont fix it it's gonna be a garage job for compression test. i rate dont wanna be without my car for another 3 weeks or whatever.... what damange could be caused if i continued to drive it with this problem?.... not that i have... went to drive it yesterday... wouldnt start :rolleyes: flat battery i think :mad:

Does sound very much like temp sensor, does it miss even at cold??? or only once up to temp??

agree with jug... comp test deffo...

upto temp or not.... at low revs it sounds like it wants to stall.... ive never stalled this car even the first time i drove it... and now she wants to stall alot

my dad has ordered the part... so im gonna sort it thursday night by lamp light... and if that dont fix it.... to the garage on friday!

if the coolant temp sensor is faulty the ecu ignores it and uses the default temperature. that results in powerloss and erratic idle when cold and perfect running once warmed up.

is this car ever gonna be fixed?

as soon as something gets sorted.

it breaks again.

Back