Misleading ebay add?

Currently reading:
Misleading ebay add?

bandido41

Bandido A Maneira!!
I just bought this item from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170157470641&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

now if you scroll through the add there is a place where it states that collection price is £89.95 and i emailed the seller to let him know i would pay cash when i collected it tomorrow but he said i can not do that because i bought it through ebay i have to have it posted and i can not collect where do i stand with this as i am not prepared to pay £40 to have something delivered when it is just a short drive away from me also there would be nobody home to sign for it anyway.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hang on... isn't it cheaper to have it delivered than to collect it then?:confused:

no cos its £89.95 buy it now, the delivery charge is an extra £39.95 so it would work out at £129.90 delivered

ahh i see :bang:

I'm having one of 'those' days...ignore me lol

collection charge is clearly stated, if you want to collect then pay it.

collection wasnt listed as an option at the bottom of the listing so technically collection is not offered. i think the huge collection fee was only mentioned to make sure no one would want to collect it. (why they dont want a collection could be due to many reasons)

if they let you collect its going to cost you more, but they dont have to let you collect as it wasnt listed as an option.

look at their other listings, they often charge more to collect than the item costs, its always cheaper to get it posted.

the only reason this confusion has happened is because they listed the collection fee for the same amount as the item fee. they're allowed to do that, its not their fault you misread it.

Last edited:
now its a grey area the way they have shown it but it does say collection price is £89.95 however they could say its an additional cost :eek:

I think thats where i was getting confused. Its a very clever ad really, the way its worded!

now its a grey area the way they have shown it but it does say collection price is £89.95 however they could say its an additional cost :eek:

he maybe getting mixed up with no offering collection on paypal payments as you have no proof of delivery for chargebacks

Exactly what I thought at first...but they are offering cash on collection...so no chargeback issue.

Sounds to me like the seller is bumping up the postage a bit to cover fees and if sale is arranged away from ebay, then he will play ball.

to be honest i would have rang them first before buying it to check it could be collected

I did i rang him on wednesday to see if i could collect it on saturday and also to get his postcode and he said fine and he gave me directions and said he would prefer cash on collection when i picked it up the reason i only did the ebay process today was due to the add saying payment must be within 48 hours and also i didnt want to get there and have him say that it was an ebay price special only.

I did i rang him on wednesday to see if i could collect it on saturday and also to get his postcode and he said fine and he gave me directions and said he would prefer cash on collection when i picked it up the reason i only did the ebay process today was due to the add saying payment must be within 48 hours and also i didnt want to get there and have him say that it was an ebay price special only.

Then that is bang out of order. For the sake of 1 negative i would refuse to complete the transaction and report him to ebay

It says in big red letters..

£89.95

THIS PRICE INCLUDES VAT

COLLECTION PRICE IS £89.95

That to me suggests you can collect it for £89.95 and pay cash on delivery.

He can't really refuse to let you collect it when that is in the ad

call him and ask if he will deal off ebay for £90 cash & collected or whatever
then do a mutual agreement not ot complete the sale on ebay
good idea, the temptation to save a few quid on seller fes, plus not having to relist and get a negative off you, may clinch the deal.

Well after phoning the guy and speaking to him rather nicely he agreed to a mutual agreement and i will picking up the crane tomorrow thanks for all your inputs guys and gals (y)

Back