Technical Miracle 5th gear fix! Or mystery.

Currently reading:
Technical Miracle 5th gear fix! Or mystery.

Yennenga

I posted a while back about my 5th gear that would not engage, screamed like a banshee whenever I tried to engage the selector.

I had no warning signs, noises etc. It just happened one day on a drive out of the blue, I could not engage into 5th.

Many conversations later and two experts checking and listening, fiddling with linkages etc. the consensus was that the 5th gear is mashed and I need a new gearbox.

This week, on my way to collect a recon gearbox about 40 minutes from home, I am driving along in a daze and suddenly realized that I had been using the 5th gear and it works perfectly!

Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Yet another expert (the guy who recons gearboxes) says it may be something to do with something something and he will open up gearbox in situ, and fix it for £200 including transmission oil change.

Like Toyah said, it's a mystery. Run it a bit and see but there appears to be an issue so recon guy before it it goes worse maybe the way to go. Is it the box or the linkage though? Hope you sort it soon.

The 5th gear on some fiat gearboxes is an additional independent gear on the end of the gearbox. If its come lose it can be a basic repair while in situ.

Tim
correct

if its not a selector cable adjustment, highly likley

then selector fork for 5th is at the back

it might be worth checking that the bolt hasn't come loose

but unless you know what you are doing i would stop here as you risk the bearing falling apart
2046568.png

The shifter shaft that runs through the top cover uses a 4mm roll pin to retain the selector block. I've replaced a few oil seals on these and every one had a broken roll pin. You have to be careful when refitting as its possible to fit the shaft upside down so watch out for that.

Mine were all working fine, despite the pins being broken. But it's entirely possible for a broken pin to allow the shifter block to slide rather than select gears.

Back