Minibuses and bus lanes.

Currently reading:
Minibuses and bus lanes.

few years back when we had an FF bus we used to drive it in bus lanes and not get a ticket.
Can this still be done if you buy a minibus for private use with 15 seats can you just drive it in a (non local only) bus lane?
i see something about section 19 and 22 permits but don't really understand them.

Bus lane rules are made by local authorities, so can differ regionally. A sign saying "local buses only" is fairly clear, usually meaning the normal service buses, not any visiting coach or private minibuses.
In Swindon, although the bus lanes are open to taxis and minibuses, they mostly show a sign declaring "authorised bus lane user". I believe there is some registration process. I did meet a taxi driver from Marlborough, about 10 miles out of Swindon, who was complaining that he was not allowed to use the bus lanes and could not get a permit as he was not based within the borough.
You'll need to check your own local rules.

A friend had a 34 seat private car that had once been a Birmingham Corporation Leyland bus. It was a bit slow with a town ratio back axle and crash box, but the 8 litre (Gardner IIRC) did give 18mpg on a run.

Last edited:
Bus lane rules are made by local authorities, so can differ regionally. A sign saying "local buses only" is fairly clear, usually meaning the normal service buses, not any visiting coach or private minibuses.
In Swindon, although the bus lanes are open to taxis and minibuses, they mostly show a sign declaring "authorised bus lane user". I believe there is some registration process. I did meet a taxi driver from Marlborough, about 10 miles out of Swindon, who was complaining that he was not allowed to use the bus lanes and could not get a permit as he was not based within the borough.
You'll need to check your own local rules.

thanks its a right headache,
I've just come across another problem now the original bus i went to see i researched was a type approval N1 no problem there its same as my van, but they had sold that one, they had other i liked and i got my heart set on a nice one, but i just found out although it looked identical but newer its a type approval N2 :bang:

Back