General MIL Bought a Schumacher Seicento!

Currently reading:
General MIL Bought a Schumacher Seicento!

HardBoiledEgg

Hello :)

My Mother-In-Law has bought a Schumacher Sporting Seicento last week. When she bought it the engine light was on, the garage said he would get rid of it,which he did, only for it to return the very next day. I have drove her car and it seems to idle very lumpy but drives okay. The garage is telling her there is nothing wrong with it and its an 'electrical' thing causing it to come up on the dash, but I think it's more than that. Is it anything you experts have heard of? Could it be the coil thingie?
It's a cracking wee car and she likes it, it looks like my Puntos little brother! She doesn't want to give it back but wants to know what it could be so she knows what to say at the garage.
The garage in question seems alittle bit iffy to me - when she went to look at it it had 60,000 miles on the clock although it's only an 02 so she said I will buy it if you change the timing belt and pay for that and I will pay to have it serviced. When she come to pay for the service he mubled and muttered about the nprice then after 10 minutes hesitation admitted he hadn't done the belt :confused: didn't give any reasonable excuse either?
Anynway, apart from the dodgy dealer she loves the car (y)

Any advice gratefully recieved

Nicola

the dealer should be able to scan the ECU and see why the light is coming on. then you should know what needs replacing.
if they said they are going to sort it out, they should sort it out. Tell them you want the fault codes from the ECU read and then whatever it shows up needs fixing.
If they dont, tell them you'll go elsewhere and send them the bill!

Could be a duff MAP sensor. Fiat do a diagnostic test for £60-ish.

My Schuey used to idle a bit rough, but resetting the ECU (or disconnecting the battery for an hour!) sorted it out.

If there's no evidence of a cam change in it's history, make sure you get that done asap. If it snaps it won't damage anything, but it will be a ball ache if she's left stranded.

It sounds like the garage couldn't care less, use the words "standards" and "trading" if they get shirty.

Thanks for the replies :) She didn't get it from a FIAT garage, just a small local guy where shes bought all her other cars from.He is in partnership of sorts with a garage where he sends them to be serviced etc would he have the diagnostic stuff required to read the fault codes?
I specifically told her about the cambelt at the mileage but for some reason the guy didn't change it so I know she has to go back. She thinks its a case of the garage guy trying to rip off the car seller guy as the car selller was paying for that and MIL was paying for the service, under questioning he appeared harrassed and flustered and finally admitted he hadn't changed the belt but he was ready to charge the car seller for a job not done. Needless to say thats a local garage crossed of my list!

In the meantime I will tell her to try disconnecting the battery for a bit see what that does.

She also had to buy another key from FIAT as she only got one, that cost her £61 :eek:

£61 :eek:

Timpsons can clone FIAT keys..

I think disconnecting the battery will just make the ECU forget the fault, until it resurfaces the next day.

Smaller garage probably doesnt have the stuff required to read the fault codes. Although with it being a newer one, it'd be OBDII compliant.. so they might do. Either way, get them to tell you why the light is coming on!

HardBoiledEgg said:
Hahaha - this northerner understood him perfectly well :p

must be this secret code u all speak :p :D

its all good....

will prob be map sensor or maybe even lambda, neither of which should be too expensive to fix, im sure there are some mobile companies who can read ecu's at your house, cant think of any off the top of my head tho :chin:

She went to one lock and key place who sent her to another and they said because of the cars age they couldn't do it so in the end she just went to FIAT, who said that they key will come complete and then she will have to take her car to get the key to code with the car.
Also! The front fogs have been smashed! Well one of them is covered with black tape and the other one has been coloured in with back marker pen! So she needs new front fogs.
The stereo has mysteriously gone walkabout, apparently the dealer can't find it :rolleyes: and one of those black cap things on her wing mirror is missing too.
The car is a bit rough round the edges but she really likes it, just isn't happy about all these little things (n)

HardBoiledEgg said:
front fogs have been smashed! other one has been coloured in with back marker pen! The stereo has mysteriously gone walkabout,: and one of those black cap things on her wing mirror is missing too.
The car is a bit rough round the edges but she really likes it, just isn't happy about all these little things (n)

It does sound a bit rough, I hope she didn't pay too much for it as it sounds like it could be due a few £££ to spent on it :(

paulbfd said:
Fiat do a diagnostic test for £60-ish.

How much?!?! :eek:

You can get it done for less than half that if you shop around ;)

Back