Technical metal-on-metal noise/cover fallen into gearbox??

Currently reading:
Technical metal-on-metal noise/cover fallen into gearbox??

Dukeburger818

howdy,

i only noticed this problem today but realised it has been doing it for about 2-3 days, but you can see what i presume is the flywheel/clutch housing and a cover is missing? I can see the actual rotational part has goughes around the housing (can't see it on camera). I'm still driving it about as there is no change in the way it drives which im sure is fine (y)

sound happens all the time when engine is running, doesnt seem to get any louder or quieter whilst driving

anyone had this issue before? I have a video here

and some pictures for reference
WlQ5r8l.jpg

voyKGL6.jpeg

tia :worship:

I thought that cover was rubber tbh...but its been a while since I looked or had a car to check..the car was my daughters andd has since moved on.
Isnt the sound on the video the alternator?..sounds like bearing's have gone to me..BUT it is difficult to pinpoint on video. You could check by dropping the belt off..at least I would.

I thought that cover was rubber tbh...but its been a while since I looked or had a car to check..the car was my daughters andd has since moved on.
Isnt the sound on the video the alternator?..sounds like bearing's have gone to me..BUT it is difficult to pinpoint on video. You could check by dropping the belt off..at least I would.
i have checked various bearings etc with the ol screwdriver trick and none of them are making a terrible noise, besides the alternator is less than a year old anyway so i doubt that would be the culprit. But I didn't know it was rubber i presumed it was a metal lid

that is very helpful thank you, i couldnt find any covers myself

i took it out earlier and the clutch was being very strange, kept stopping halfway up the travel and had to pull it the rest of the way with my foot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Whats the miles on the car?..Have thought of changing the clutch/brake fluid?..might not help if the clutch is foobarred but its an easy test/option and is cheap to do...plus you get new brake fluid too..if you bleed them ...

Whats the miles on the car?..Have thought of changing the clutch/brake fluid?..might not help if the clutch is foobarred but its an easy test/option and is cheap to do...plus you get new brake fluid too..if you bleed them ...

just ticked over to 60k not a high mileage car but it is nearly 14 years old

Probs on original brake/clutch fluid. Personally I'd change it purely due to its potential age and it might help with the clutch return. Diagnosing a noise from a video clip is always going to be hit and miss BUT if your confident its not the alternator I wish you luck in tracking it down.
Even though the alternators 'new' dropping the belt off isnt hard work and will 100%eliminate it..

Last edited:
Something's loose there and rattling against the engine. Maybe something's gone inside the flywheel housing, an object or it could be the broken clip of the plastic cover.

I heard similar rattle when the exhaust manifold gasket was leaking with studs broken. It was only quiet after taking it for a longer drive on the highway. Such a low mileage though but not a terribly uncommon fault. You could take the heatshield off from the manifold to check.

Your car probably needs new brake fluid and / or a new slave cylinder.

Back