MES refuses to find body module to do a proxy alignment. Help !

Currently reading:
MES refuses to find body module to do a proxy alignment. Help !

jaahn

Waratah, Newcastle, Australia. down under
Hi My Fiat 500 3013 has had the flashing odo and a battery drain since buying it a year ago. I bought MES and an ELM and three cables, red, yellow, green. I have used them on my laptop to scan the information on modules, cancel any codes etc. Then used it to reset the auto transmission(green cable) and got the clutch working well after fitting a new clutch and transmission input bearing and seal. All good now, driving well after quite a bit of work ! Generally the car is driving well and all normal functions work correctly I believe except for the Blue and Me functions.

So I ordered a B & M module which was said to be a new old stock unit. I installed it but it did not fix any problems. So I attempted to do a Proxy Alignment but the MES cannot connect to the Body module. So I reconnected the old module but same result. And the same result with no module connected :oops: I have tried using the ELM direct, and the red and green cables as well as the yellow. The body module must be there and working because the locking and remote work as well as the other simple functions. Note the battery has been disconnected for extended time, several times with no effect except work to reset the date etc.

After more reading I did check the fuses in the engine compartment and found one blown F85 15A and replaced it, but no change ?? What does that fuse do anyway as nothing seemed to change. MES still will not find the body module. I cannot do a PA as it cannot get to the first step. What could be wrong. Does the body module fail and is it the under bonnet fuse and relay unit. What happens to them. Would my cable be faulty. Any suggestions please. :rolleyes:
Jaahn

Last edited:
Hi :)
Are you using the ELM only to
'scan for devices' ?

That should list everything on the car..
Then use that info to choose what You Have in the 500 listing.. where there are often 2 or 3 optionsTha
Thanks for the reply. I did the engine scan using the ELM direct and get the list of modules, engine, gearbox, body/BCM Delphi(312) , ABS, electric steering. I did a clear of the codes which worked OK showing success on all modules.
Then I go to the body selection, fit the yellow cable to the ELM and port. Select that option above BCM Delphi(312) press connect and it will not connect, as after several seconds it says cannot connect, can bus fault, check your connection or similar message. I tried to do it many times, tried all listed options, tried with all my 3 cables and no cable but same message. arrah:mad: WTF ??
jaahn

Disconnect the blue and me module, check fuse, leave blue and me disconnected and try proxy alignment

Disconnect the blue and me module, check fuse, leave blue and me disconnected and try proxy alignment
Jackwoo i have previously disconnected the new blue and me module and tried to do a proxy alignment. It gave me the same failure message as with it connected and also with the previous old one connected.

After more reading here I think I will check my yellow connecting cable for correct wiring, as some other person on here with a Ducaro recently had chased some failure to connect as being caused by some faulty elm cables and after getting a good one he was able to connect to modules.

I searched for information on fuse F85 and it is for the power socket(cig lighter) so that explains that and why i did not notice any item not working.

But please keep the suggestions coming.
Jaahn

Jackwoo i have previously disconnected the new blue and me module and tried to do a proxy alignment. It gave me the same failure message as with it connected and also with the previous old one connected.
After more reading here I think I will check my yellow connecting cable for correct wiring, as some other person on here with a Ducaro recently had chased some failure to connect as being caused by some faulty elm cables and after getting a good one he was able to connect to modules.
I searched for information on fuse F85 and it is for the power socket(cig lighter) so that explains that and why i did not notice any item not working.
But please keep the suggestions coming.
Jaahn
Hi interested Fiat'ers :cool:
Well I have been busy with other things and the car has not been available much either.
I checked the ELM adaptor cables for correct wiring but they seemed OK as per the MES site diagrams except for not having the pins 4 and 5 connected together as shown. I fixed the yellow cable with a jumper but as the ELM has them connected together at the input pins that is probably nothing important. Both earths !

So I pulled the ELM apart and looked for problems. What I found was the 120ohm resistor between pins 6 and 14. I thought that only applied to old units but mine has a resistor across those pins on the board near the IC input pins. So I removed it. I was not able to access the old information links to that modification on the forum or from the MES site but I believe I have done the correct resistor :oops:;). Tiny surface mount resistor marked 121. After some thought I just used a small screw driver and a tap on the side to knock out the center part. Easy enough to do after worrying a bit how to achieve it without doing other damage.
When I get the car back I will see if that was the problem ! or not ?
cheers Jaahn

Last edited:
Hi interested Fiat'ers :cool:
Well I have been busy with other things and the car has not been available much either.
I checked the ELM adaptor cables for correct wiring but they seemed OK as per the MES site diagrams except for not having the pins 4 and 5 connected together as shown. I fixed the yellow cable with a jumper but as the ELM has them connected together at the input pins that is probably nothing important. Both earths !

So I pulled the ELM apart and looked for problems. What I found was the 120ohm resistor between pins 6 and 14. I thought that only applied to old units but mine has a resistor across those pins on the board near the IC input pins. So I removed it. I was not able to access the old information links to that modification on the forum or from the MES site but I believe I have done the correct resistor :oops:;). Tiny surface mount resistor marked 121. After some thought I just used a small screw driver and a tap on the side to knock out the center part. Easy enough to do after worrying a bit how to achieve it without doing other damage.
When I get the car back I will see if that was the problem ! or not ?
cheers Jaahn
WELL SUCCESS with the modified ELM interface :cool: :):love: That pesky 120 ohm resistor is the problem or was the problem now ! The computer found the body module no problem and then went to the Proxy alignment when asked to. I looked at the errors and some other things and saw the Convergence Telematic Node (CTM) failed the Proxie Alignment Procedure. Hmm seems the problem OK.
Now I must say I do not understand the procedure steps or the logic of what I did but by trying various items and reading codes and clearing I found some things that worked. As shown by the pictures of the screen.
Now to get the thing to ask in English when I press the windows button ??
Happy man over here for sure :love: Thanks for the help ! Jaahn The pic is the ELM interface circuit board. The resistor I removed, marked 121 is at the center bottom near the pins.
20221007_192811.jpg
20221007_192948 (3)r.jpg
it is across tracks from pins 3 & 4 to the IC
20221009_120455 (2)r.jpg
20221010_170350 (2)r.jpg
20221010_172742 (2)r.jpg

Last edited:
Hi ;)
I went back to the little pink ***** cat for another MES checkover. I thought previously when I did the transmission reset and adjustments I used the green cable. I checked that again and indeed I do need the green cable to do that. It does not say that on the MES site or on this forum. Why is that or did I miss something. It says the yellow cable is good for every thing except the engine and general scanning when you use the ELM direct.
I double checked it and the yellow cable will do the body module as I did for the proxy alignment but not the transmission !!

Anyway I thought the clutch was not as perfect as it was before. Now it has done a few Kms I though a readjustment might be a good idea and it is now, I think, a bit smoother. I noted there were a couple of errors and I believe it is because I use left foot braking and sometimes might press the brake and accelerator at the same time. Cleared OK. Just a comment for those who are used to driving old type autos !
Jaahn

I knew that the green was for a 'rare' use ,

(Cabrio roof seemed to be familiar)

Im my long time of FIAT ownership the 500 is ODD..

Most connect with just the ELM cable :)

When you say 'old autos' is it a torque converter.. or dualogic ??

Does the MES site hint at which cable is required to read the gearbox..??

I knew that the green was for a 'rare' use , (Cabrio roof seemed to be familiar)

Im my long time of FIAT ownership the 500 is ODD.. Most connect with just the ELM cable :)

When you say 'old autos' is it a torque converter.. or dualogic ??

Does the MES site hint at which cable is required to read the gearbox..??
Hi
A quick answer for the auto question; mine is a dualogic but I have driven many old torque converter autos and can use both feet ?
This is partly what the MES site says for 1.2, 8V 500 .
These are the only modules that use the ELM on its own. All the others listed use cable A3 which is the yellow one.

Magneti Marelli IAW 5SF8 CF5/EOBD Injection (8V) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Magneti Marelli IAW 5SF8/SDU CF5/EOBD Injection (1.2 8V LPG, 1.4 8V LPG) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Magneti Marelli IAW 5SF9 CF5/EOBD Injection (1.2 8V, 1.4 8V) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Magneti Marelli IAW 9GF CF6/EOBD Injection (1.2 8V LPG) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Magneti Marelli IAW 9GF CF6/EOBD Injection (1.2, 1.4) |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Marelli SELESPEED CFC328 Automatic Gearbox |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Marelli SELESPEED CFC328 CF6 Automatic Gearbox |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Marelli SELESPEED CFC328F Automatic Gearbox |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Bosch ABS 8 ESP |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Bosch ABS 9 ESP |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ACT|ADJ| ELM
Delphi Electric Steering |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ADJ| ELM
Delphi Electric Steering MY12 |INFO|DTC|DTC EX|PRM|ADJ| ELM
BUT I could not get it to read the Transmission which is accessed through the body module with anything but using the Green cable. Hmm
Cheers jaahn

Back