image.jpg

Punto (Mk2/2b) Meet my Punto Chirpy :)

Introduction

Alright guys! I've been lurking around on here for the last 12 months since I bought my motor and thought it was about time I started contributing!

I have shared Chirpy with my partner since we bought her but now she's moved on to the weird and wonderful world of Vauxhall which leaves her all to myself!

So I'll start by showing her off, meet Chirpy:)

image.jpg

I have loads of ideas in my head of how I want to personalize my Punto. So far I'm thinking -

Buy a set of sporting alloys and paint matt black.
Paint calipers and drums, red possibly.
Remove door trims.
Remove chrome badges.
Buy a de badged grill.
Colour code wing mirrors, or Matt black.
Paint door handles to match mirrors.
Colour code bumper trims.
Tint windows, very unsure on this one!
Fit a sun strip, possibly black.
Fit xenon bulbs.

Plenty for me to get on with for now and any ideas/suggestions welcome!

Sutty :)

Ps the daft name wasn't my idea, it was my better halves, but has kind of stuck :p
Reactions: homeward
Colour coding is always good - door handles and mirrors

bumpers - no point it'll be chipped like it probably already is anyway - but thats my view

Fitting a sunroof - thats sooo 1990's tbh.... and even factory ones are known to leak let alone aftermarket....

Paiting the front calipers Yes yes yes! But painting drums.... Its like saying - Hey look! and then feel like crying?

If you paint them - paint them black or a dark silver to help blend them in :)

Some people are having sun strip tints instead - Homeward i thinks done it?
Im still tempted but money and all that!

Ziggy

Colour coding is always good - door handles and mirrors

bumpers - no point it'll be chipped like it probably already is anyway - but thats my view

Fitting a sunroof - thats sooo 1990's tbh.... and even factory ones are known to leak let alone aftermarket....

Paiting the front calipers Yes yes yes! But painting drums.... Its like saying - Hey look! and then feel like crying?

If you paint them - paint them black or a dark silver to help blend them in :)

Im still tempted but money and all that!

Ziggy
The bumpers each have odd bits that need repairing and painting so I plan on doing the full bumpers in one go and do the trims at the same time.

No plans for a sun roof! Although they do bring back memories from my mums old cars in the 90s when I was a kid. I'm surprised it haven't got one to be honest as it's not got AC.

Good idea with the calipers and drums, front red and drums Matt black I think! Had an old mg zr in this week and it looked crap with red drums!

It's a tinted sun strip I want, seen kits on ebay for cheap so I'm tempted!

What a good memory you have...! (y)

It's a tinted sun strip I want, seen kits on ebay for cheap so I'm tempted!

See this post in my Members Motors thread...! Definitely worth it: especially at this time of year, when the sun's low.... :)

Small update!

I decided to give chirps a proper going over to get her body work back to looking new as best as I could with out repainting! I started with a full clean inside and out followed by a full machine polish and wax on the outside! I managed to get rid of all scratches and restored all panels to a new finish. I also polished the head lights and got them near perfect too. This gave me a good base to decide what to repaint and what not. Turns out only the bumpers need more work due to scuffs and cracks in the paint.

image.jpg

All in all I'm very pleased with her new look, I feel like I've rolled back the years for her! Even managed to turn a few heads of other road users and pedestrians, either that or my driving! Also decided to change the wheel trims from standard fiat one to cheap Halfords ones as the we're looking a bit battered! They should do till I find some alloys for her :)

Last edited:
Advice needed!

I'm looking to fit a set of xenon bulbs to my punto and want advice on which ones. Due to the nights drawing in and driving a lot on unlit country roads I want to upgrade the stock halogen bulbs. Also for looks too! I want a bright clear white light with no tint. I'm looking for the best compromise of price and performance!

Is it possible to upgrade orange indicator lights and all rear red lights to brighter bulbs?

image.jpg

Any advice/ experiences welcome!!!

Last edited:
Regards to the bulb upgrade the best you can probably get are osram night breaker plus about 12 quid for the pair of ebay, any brighter than that then your looking at a HID conversion, an for the side lights try led bulbs pick em really cheap. Hope this helps

Regards to the bulb upgrade the best you can probably get are osram night breaker plus about 12 quid for the pair of ebay, any brighter than that then your looking at a HID conversion, an for the side lights try led bulbs pick em really cheap. Hope this helps

Cheers I'll have a look! I don't want to spend money on hid for this car, doesn't seem worth it. I just want a simple standard plug in bulb. Could I get xenon side lights too or would led be better?

Worth mentioning that LED sidelights could cause a CAN bus light for there being a bulb failure. Worth spending a bit extra and getting CAN bus LED sidelights. My old punto had them and they are great.
HIDs are illegal on your type of car because of the lense type. Yours is a reflector, i.e spreads light everywhere. Whereas the pre-facelift are projector which is a fixed beam pattern and are safe to change to HID.

Sam

Worth mentioning that LED sidelights could cause a CAN bus light for there being a bulb failure. Worth spending a bit extra and getting CAN bus LED sidelights. My old punto had them and they are great.
HIDs are illegal on your type of car because of the lense type. Yours is a reflector, i.e spreads light everywhere. Whereas the pre-facelift are projector which is a fixed beam pattern and are safe to change to HID.

Sam

Thanks and that makes sense about the hid being illegal. I'm glad I decided on xenon/led bulbs instead :)

Back