Technical Mechanical mystery for my 126

Currently reading:
Technical Mechanical mystery for my 126

brfondren

Hello,
I am new to the forum, I was hoping such a forum existed because of a problem I am having with my 1974 126. In short, when the car is running she runs ok for a few minutes but when I get her in 3-4 gear and give her alot of gas she start missing...lurching and not pulling. When I get off the gas she settles back down but then does it again, sometimes, soon after. It happens when she gets warm. She fuels good and is not acting like she is starved of fuel but she acts like the engine is missing. I have changed the ignition coil, spark plugs, rotor cap and button and she still will not run good. I am gonna try and clean out the air filter and maybe the fuel filter but I am at a lose at what else to do. Any one have similar problems before??
Help.

Thanks, Billy

Hello,
I am new to the forum, I was hoping such a forum existed because of a problem I am having with my 1974 126. In short, when the car is running she runs ok for a few minutes but when I get her in 3-4 gear and give her alot of gas she start missing...lurching and not pulling. When I get off the gas she settles back down but then does it again, sometimes, soon after. It happens when she gets warm. She fuels good and is not acting like she is starved of fuel but she acts like the engine is missing. I have changed the ignition coil, spark plugs, rotor cap and button and she still will not run good. I am gonna try and clean out the air filter and maybe the fuel filter but I am at a lose at what else to do. Any one have similar problems before??
Help.

Thanks, Billy
Condenser? Points?
Spark plug wires?

Last edited:
Quite an old, but nice, car so it could be the early stages of rust/sediment collecting in the fuel tank. I went through exactly this where the car would start missing normally at speed then it got worse while I replaced everything. Got to the point where the car would just cut out after about 10 miles. Would easily start after about 2 mins then you got another 10 miles. It was the crud in the tank blocking the filter inside the tank. When the engine stopped the crud just fell back to the bottom of the tank.

Back