General Mechanic in manchester area recomendations

Currently reading:
General Mechanic in manchester area recomendations

lisaboo

hello there,i was hoping someone in here could recommend a mechanic in the manchester area who may be able to the little niggles i have with me w reg punto

The first one is that the horn doesnt work, i think its the connectors cos i fiddled about with it and it worked but then stopped working again

The second thing is my right hand wiper just stopped working,i felt under the link bit and and it seems like it slipped out,i pushed it back on but then it just slipped off again anyhow i was hoping someone on here knew somebody local who doesnt charge the earth to fix these things, im being a proper female cos theres not a chance i can fix them myself,i wouldnt know where to start!

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

thanks for the swift response, i will be honest, there is no chance im gonna be able to fit that lol! i am that bad at anything even slightly mechanical! to me that looks tricky

the second set, not the first ine is easy, you just pull your old ones off then push them on. still if you buy them and take to a garage they should fit them for less than £20. a lot better than if you just ask them to fix it, as they will have to get the parts from fiat who only sell the complete lot new motor and linkages as one bit, and its about £200

thank you, i will buy the set and i will get a garage to fit it,cos i would probably break something else if i tried to do it,i saw that wipex had a ebay shop so i will probably try that, thank you again,now for the horn....

new fiat motor and mechanism is £119.94 inc vat, i can have it fitted in under 20mins, had to do mine last week

well i just got the set thats on ebay for a very simular price to what you said before,i will have a look at it to at least try if i can do it myself but im doubting it! will it be expensive to get a new horn fitted do you think?

thats still a lot more than £30, and will still have the same design fault as the one thats just broke
i never said it wasnt, i was merely stating the price, new linkages are supposed to be modified, my new one looked beefier than the old one i took off.

any ideas of a short term solution, until this part arrives,with the amount its been raining lately i dont fancy driving without it working, i think i see a few bus rides in my future

Hi,

If the little plastic gromit (rubber ring) is still in the hole which has popped off, then if you get a pair of pliers (or BBQ tongs etc if you havent got any) and squeeze the gromit really hard so that it flattens a bit, and then pop it back on, it should make it stay on for a while untill your new linkages turn up. (Thats what i did to mine 4 yrs ago and it still hasnt popped off--- although i do say a little prayre every time i turn my wipers on. Really should replace it like you will be doing, but i suffer from laziness! lol)

Hope that helps,
Alan

omg, you are a mind of information! i must admit im not gonna try that but wow! think im gonna try get the cable tie at work tomorrow and just hope its not raining in the morning and then fit it during the day, thank you so much for all your help

I bodged mine until the Wipex ones turned up by wrapping black insulation tape around the little round nubbin (thats SUCH a good word), then popping the linkage back on.

The Wipex ones are good, the only issue I found was attaching it under the wiper motor (make sure you get them the correct way round). A pair of mole grips helped immensely.

£30 for a set, you cant go wrong. And all the puntos in my local scrappers had either them taped up or scavenged.

thank you, i was trying to use some electrical tape this morning but it didnt seem like there was enough room for it to go on, but i might try again when i get home, twas pissing it down this morning and i managed to get to work only using the wipers when i had to, about 4 times in all i think, hoping that my new one will arrive tomorrow and i think i have found me a little man to fit it, fingers crossed

I bodged mine until the Wipex ones turned up by wrapping black insulation tape around the little round nubbin (thats SUCH a good word), then popping the linkage back on.

The Wipex ones are good, the only issue I found was attaching it under the wiper motor (make sure you get them the correct way round). A pair of mole grips helped immensely.

£30 for a set, you cant go wrong. And all the puntos in my local scrappers had either them taped up or scavenged.

did linkage come with free new blades?

Back