General max torque/power for 4x4 transmission

Currently reading:
General max torque/power for 4x4 transmission

rafi

Anyone knows what is the maximum torque or power what an old panda 4x4 transmission can tolerate ?

Im thinking about 999cc Panda 4x4 with nitrous for drag race about 100-150bhp for few seconds.

Why?

pandas should not be subjected to this sort of thing, especially not the 4x4 :nono:. If your determined to drag race a panda, why not try a normal 2wd version (one in classifieds (i would rather see it used instead of scrapped)).

christopher watson said:
Why?

pandas should not be subjected to this sort of thing, especially not the 4x4 :nono:. If your determined to drag race a panda, why not try a normal 2wd version (one in classifieds (i would rather see it used instead of scrapped)).

A good launch is the most important thing in a drag race, and FWD cars has terrible traction.
Unfortunately the 4x4 is a special category in my country therefore the 2WD would be the better solution, BUT NOT FWD ! :::: this is the next idea is to convert the 4wd to rwd (it is not so difficult)

This is what I searching for:
- RWD
- engine is under 1000ccm
- 1 power adder (turbo or nitrous)
- lightweight chassis

what is the point?... can't you find a larger engined cheap rear wheel drive small/compact car anywhere?

or something design with a turbo and 4x4 ... like the mazda 323 4x4 turbo... don't suppose there are too many of those in Hungary though.

Tony M said:
what is the point?... can't you find a larger engined cheap rear wheel drive small/compact car anywhere?

or something design with a turbo and 4x4 ... like the mazda 323 4x4 turbo... don't suppose there are too many of those in Hungary though.

The category where I want to participate has the following rules: engine maximum 999ccm, drive is only 2WD (FWD or RWD), only one power adder (turbo or nitrous)

The car can be competative with ~120bhp and ~600-700kg (with rwd!)

christopher watson said:
Why not try a lada riva (dont laugh), the gearboxes are very strong, the car is rear wheel drive, and if you break it, nobody will care :D

Lada niva is terrible heavy

rafi said:
Lada niva is terrible heavy

Strip it out, get a glass fibre bonnet, and fit a fiat twin cam engine (straight swap), and you can become one of these...

Attachments

• 1213547-535b-01940111-.jpeg
    1213547-535b-01940111-.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 10804599-9fd0-01CA0131-.jpeg
    10804599-9fd0-01CA0131-.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 14
The Panda 4x4 was developed for off road use and not for racing. If you want to get power through the rear wheels on the Panda the engine has got the wrong orientation. You turn the power transfer twice 90 dgrees. You are loosing to much power on the drive train.

The power on the wheels count more than the power on the flywheel. With the Panda you would loose an additional 15% in power. It is better to find a solution where you have these 15% on the wheels!

You better stick with either the front wheel drive version or if you really want to go rear wheel drive on the Panda turn it into a mid engined car.

I like the ideia...except where it mentions butchering a 4x4, that tranny was designed to cope with 55bhp at 80kmh MAX, i've seen them break with stock engines!! even 1242cc conversions seem to break parts and that's a tiny amout of torque increase compared to what you'll need to drag race.

The fwd panda does make good launches...LEARN TO DRIVE.. mine could do consistent mid 13sec runs and it only put out 178bhp albeit it only weights 500kg with driver.

I'm not a driver, i only make the monsters and let someone else tame them, i do try to make balanced cars though.

Listen to other people who have more experience in the area and you'll learn...like always listen first and only then ask questions;)

"Oldschool" is one of those you should listen to, chances are he's forgotten more about these engines then most will ever learn.

When someone tells you it's not possible make sure they say why...if they know know what they're talking about they'll say it:cool:

Hi Everybody !

Thanks for useful informations especially about the weakness of the 4x4 transmission.

I will think over agian what I really want to do.

Those 126's look like they could backflip if you slammed the accelerator down.:eek:

Back