Technical massive water leak!

Currently reading:
Technical massive water leak!

scott the bad man

as soon as i poor water into my lil cinq sporting it absolutley pours out im a plumber by trade but im not good with this sorta leak just wondered if any could advise me to what it is ????

It comes out as soon as you pour it in? Is it leaking from the bottom of the expansion tank / hose?

There is nothing that carries water where you've circled, have a closer look to see where it's coming from :)

its not the hose i dont think i reckon its the water pump is it located under the housing ?

and could you use a normal water pump from a normal cinq as a replacement

Water pump is at about 2 o clock on your last photo. It's the pulley above the cam/alternator pulley.

Do check. It does seem wierd to give such a big leak. Get someone underneath the car while you pour water in (or vice versa!)

If it is the water pump, they're cheap, don't faff about with a second hand one. Has to be a Cinq Sporting one (order it vin in hand, 'cos there are two belt pitches) the 899 ones are utterly and completely different.

can see the pump on this photo;

It is RTV sealed to the casting (can see a bit of sealant that's come out on that one). If it's not leaking from there it could be leaking from the pump outlet. There is a large metal pipe that is pushed in there, it has a rubber o ring on the end of it, that can perish and cause a leak.

If that needs replacing, then you need to remove the rubber hose / x-section of one end, remove the single bolt that secures the pipe to the block and then pull/twist/swear until it comes out.

Last edited:
Due to the location, the best bet has to be the water pump.

Having said that, you have the radiator hoses at that end and the rad' has a bleed screw on the back, also at that end. You need to check where the water is coming out from.

Water pump is a cam-belt off job... fit a new belt and tensioner bearing (£25-odd from S4P but make sure you get the right pitch cam-belt. Their kit is for 8mm pitch.. engine numbers 900,000 odd onwards). Older engines use 9.25mm pitch.

Ralf S.

Orderd my new water pump of eBay new but can't find what cam belt stuff I need it's a 1.1 and it's a p reg any ideas ??

Thanks

Scott.s

You're doing this arse about tit.

The pulley (for the water pump) has to match the other pulleys -- or you may end up with a cam belt which only fits two of the pulleys and destroys itself on the water pump.

Big Mick at eurocarcare 01332 345 869 or Shop4Parts or a FIAT dealer will be able to do it by VIN.

Replace the tensioner while you're at it.

Last edited:
One last point - the waterpump has a failsafe pressure valve on it but it only works once. If the water pressure gets too high for whatever reason (like it overheats) the valve pops and lets the coolant out. The only fix is a new pump after that.

Back