Technical Marea Weekend HLX 2.4 TD

Currently reading:
Technical Marea Weekend HLX 2.4 TD

little jack

My Marea weekend has developed a fault in acceleration where it is fine off the line in 1st - 3rd gear, however when you ease off in 4th and 5th it loses all acceleration - as though the turbo is refusing to kick in. When you drop back down to 2nd it seems to reset and the acceleration/turbo kicks back in. Any ideas? I've just got it back from the garage where initially they wanted £170 to change the plugs, however then decided it needs a new injection pum (~£2K).

My Marea weekend has developed a fault in acceleration where it is fine off the line in 1st - 3rd gear, however when you ease off in 4th and 5th it loses all acceleration - as though the turbo is refusing to kick in. When you drop back down to 2nd it seems to reset and the acceleration/turbo kicks back in. Any ideas? I've just got it back from the garage where initially they wanted £170 to change the plugs, however then decided it needs a new injection pum (~£2K).

The glow plugs? What on earth have they got to do with how the car runs once the engine is started? I'd consider trying another garage! From where do you hail?

Re: Marea Weekend HLX 2.4 TD - Injection Pump

That was what i asked them when they told me they needed changing. The car was serviced (different dealer) back in August and they didn't mention the plugs then. I suspect they were just after a bit of extra cash.

I'm in North London - picked the nearest dealer of fiat.co.uk. Never used them before.

Any thoughts on the injection pump diagnosis - apparently you can't get re-con pumps?

its an odd problem, there's no real reason why 4th or 5th gear should be any different, changing gear wont affect anything if you change at the correct rpm. its only the rpm that has an effect on fueling and compression. engine load is sometimes higher in higher gears because its harder for the engine to turn a longer gear, but once you're moving at speed changing into a higher gear shouldn't really be that much harder for the engine, certainly not as difficult as hard acceleration in lower gears, which you say is fine. i cant suggest anything. i get the feeling this is going to be one of those problems that will be difficult to solve. :(

its an odd problem, there's no real reason why 4th or 5th gear should be any different, changing gear wont affect anything if you change at the correct rpm. its only the rpm that has an effect on fueling and compression. engine load is sometimes higher in higher gears because its harder for the engine to turn a longer gear, but once you're moving at speed changing into a higher gear shouldn't really be that much harder for the engine, certainly not as difficult as hard acceleration in lower gears, which you say is fine. i cant suggest anything. i get the feeling this is going to be one of those problems that will be difficult to solve. :(
Hi there,
I had exactly the same problem with my R reg Marea Weekend 125. Great off the line, but get it on the motorway and it struggles to keep up to 80 except after a long downhill stretch.
The problems have been 3 fold. First off, change the fuel filter regardless of history. Secondly check all the plugs and sockets relating to the accelerator pedal and the throttle body connections and also the MAF, as this type of engine is flyby wire (no throttle cable). Thirdly and lastly for this fault, the MAF may need cleaning. It is not easy and requires special tools, which are available at Halfords. I have done all of this under advise and now the car runs like a dream.

The likely hood of a blown turbo is unlikely as these normally produce either a loud untoward noise or lots of white smoke from the exhaust. If you can here a smooth whistle under power, then the turbo is fine.
The Engine is reliant on a combination of electronic peddle demand signals, and mixture settings given as a result of the sensor readings throughout the engine. If any of these are wrong, then the engine is being told lies about what is happening to it and the ECU just gives, what it is being told. An old computer adage springs to mind. "**** IN, **** OUT"

Good Luck and keep me posted
Ravenrigger

Hi there,
I had exactly the same problem with my R reg Marea Weekend 125. Great off the line, but get it on the motorway and it struggles to keep up to 80 except after a long downhill stretch.
The problems have been 3 fold. First off, change the fuel filter regardless of history. Secondly check all the plugs and sockets relating to the accelerator pedal and the throttle body connections and also the MAF, as this type of engine is flyby wire (no throttle cable). Thirdly and lastly for this fault, the MAF may need cleaning. It is not easy and requires special tools, which are available at Halfords. I have done all of this under advise and now the car runs like a dream.

The likely hood of a blown turbo is unlikely as these normally produce either a loud untoward noise or lots of white smoke from the exhaust. If you can here a smooth whistle under power, then the turbo is fine.
The Engine is reliant on a combination of electronic peddle demand signals, and mixture settings given as a result of the sensor readings throughout the engine. If any of these are wrong, then the engine is being told lies about what is happening to it and the ECU just gives, what it is being told. An old computer adage springs to mind. "**** IN, **** OUT"

Good Luck and keep me posted
Ravenrigger

i have same car, but problem in fuel system

I have a JTD 130 and when I first had it trucks were overtaking me on motorway hills!!

Firstly as said I would change the fuel filter and check the throttle connections. Then give the EGR and associated pipework a damn good soak and clean in carb cleaner. Give the MAF a gentle clean with iso alcohol and see where that gets you. Check the air filter at the same time

The garage you took it to obviously don't know their glow plug from their wheel nut. Most JTD power issues are sorted by the advice which has been given above.

Hi I'm having exactly the same problems. Just bought a Marea 125 diesel with exactly the same faults, i.e great acceleration from standstill then no power when cruising on motorway. I will try your tips to see where it gets me. Where is the MAF?

karl

Back