Technical Marea 155 2.0 20v

Currently reading:
Technical Marea 155 2.0 20v

BJ2000

Hi All

Hope you can hope so far - Green Flag and AA accredited garage and today yet another have failed to resolve my problem. I have a W reg Marea Estate that pulls well and is in great all round shape - I love it.

It has a fault which no one seems to be able to diagnose. It has a knock or thudding sound that comes from the offside wheel area. The garages have to date replace drop rods, bushes etc and still no joy. The last garage spent over 45 minutes with the car suspended on jack - and still no obvious culprits such as a cracked coil spring.

The noise is noticable when going over rough or unven roads - purely from that side. On smooth services and careful pothole free driving no noise at all. The last guy suggested that there may well be a fitting at the top of the shock absorber that may have gone - will this mean removing the wing and is this a plausable explaination.

I am no car guru - so you guys may need to help me out a little.

BJ2000

Hi

It does sound like the shock absorber top bush has worn. I have had this many times on various cars. Why does replaceing this mean removing the wing? Have you seen this yourself or just been told this?

Rich

a garage cannot find this problem? shame on them. sounds like top mount has gone. jack the car up on the o/side. now you need to push the shock up with another jack. if the mount at the top moves upwards, its goosed. i would take it to a good independant garage for an inspection.:)

Get the brake caliper assembly checked.

Dad's tipo had long term rattling problem that was cured this way.

If the rattles go while brake is applied, you know you are on the right track.

Thanks Guys in answer to all the above. The brakes were checked and found to be OK. I was told that the wing would need to be removed in order to deal with the "shock absorber top bush"... I really am out of my depth and need to know if this will be an expensive job?? This is probably the only thing left to check.

Many thanks for all you comments much appreicated!

:)

Yep - told this was the only way... I take it they are taking the ****?

I've got a Marea 155 weekend, you do not need to remove the wing to replace the top mount or the bearing inside it. The whole suspension strut can be removed with the wing in situ.
I would replace the Drop Links either side as it is not an easy item to check visually, theese are a well known weak point on Marea's and produce a knocking sound when worn, it's also a very easy job to do. Failing that it may well be the actual lower wishbone. The ball joint that connects to the bottom of the hub also wear, do not fit cheap aftermarket wishbones (there crap) only fit genuine Fiat ones.

Last edited:
lib319 said:
Sounds like this problem here, which every Marea owner ever seems to have

:)

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=12917

Have read over the above and am thinking that this could be it! :idea: I need to get it into a garage after the holidays. Anyone ever made the modicfication talked about on the link? If you have any information please let me know so that I can get the noise silenced... it really is driving me insane! Apparently I can fit jubilee clips to stop the rollbar shift ... where do I place them - no rude answers!

I await you knowledge :worship: for I am not worthy!

Best regards and thanks to date - BJ2000

Back