Technical Marea 125TD Timing belt / tensioner advise please

Currently reading:
Technical Marea 125TD Timing belt / tensioner advise please

Malc

Hi again,
This Marea Weekend 125 TD I recently got. It has only 40k genuine miles on a nine year old car, and still on original timing belt. This is something I want to get done before I start to use it. The joys!

I’ve ordered a CD Workshop Manual - awaiting delivery.

I’ve had a look at the Marea 20v cam belt change link and the req’d jacking up and down to give req’d access. This link does not include cam-belt tensioner replacement. I’ve read Hellcat’s advice – “NEVER get the cambelt changed without changing the cam belt tensioners”. Can this also be done with engine in?
Any similar links?

I’ve done several belt changes on Peugeot 405 / 406 & Citroen Xantia – similar access problems between engine and inner wing. Changing tensioners was not recommended, that I saw.
These engines had bolt holes in pump and cam sprockets with corresponding tapped holes in block & head. A hole in block to insert specific size drill bit into hole in flywheel. Easypeasy! Does Fiat not have similar? I’ve only read about removal to fit ‘locking tools’ or marking prior to belt removal.

I don’t want to fit any parts that are going to let me down. Any recommendation on sources of belts and tensioner, etc at reasonable prices? Any other tipsfor this job?

Thanks
Malcolm

at 40k, the tensioners are most likely ok, but you might as well change them. a good motor factor should be able to get either a full timing belt kit made by Gates or similar, or a belt and seperate tensioners. Also check the water pump for play in the shaft and leakage.. there should be / are holes in the block and head for putting in locking tools / bolts and timing marks on the sprockets and head.

Thanks for that. I take it the tensioner can be changed with engine in and water pump if req'd. Would it be as well changing pump whilst I'm on?

Malcolm

personally i wouldnt change the water pump or tenisoner at 40k, they should last to 100k (if you're paranoid and abuse the car daily then say 80k) and i doubt you'll have the car by then. however it makes sense that you should change it when doing the belt because you might as well if you're going to all the trouble of removing the belt. if you want to change the tenisoner all you need to do is take its nut off and it slots off, this can be done with engine fitted.

It is a '98 model, vitually it's 9th birthday. I had put the year on a previous post but forgot on this one. It hasn't had a belt changed so I'm sure it's long over due having seen 72k / 5 years. As you say it makes sense whilst it's in bits. Just wanted to know if both possible with engine in.
Malcolm

Back