Off Topic main beam on without ignition on after new clutch

Currently reading:
Off Topic main beam on without ignition on after new clutch

itsdaz

hi i am new on here just looking for some advice i recently fitted a new clutch for the first time so i am a novice , the problem i have is i have put everything together and then connected the battery and my main beam comes on without the ignition on or key in the ignition also my ABS pump is on constant , im thinking i have 2 seperate faults here but im not sure.
I think the ABS pump is going because the clutch now needs bleedingand the main beam is on as i have a cable i am unsure where it goes the cable is long and leads from the connections to the bottom of the carb . i think i have something wrong connected but all the connections i have connected i took of one by one to see if it resolved the issue but it didnt ,has anyone had the same problem out there that can help please im scratching my head here wondering what to do next, ive looked to see where the long connection goes but i just cant find a place for it i have an 8v punto 1.2 05 plate any help at all would be mutch appreciated Thanks

the cable is long and leads from the connections to the bottom of the carb

What do you mean by the 'connections'? Where does that long cable come from?

The headlights operate via a relay in the engine fusebox. So you should be able to find that relay from the diagram on the fuse box lid and pull it out to turn off the headlights.

sensor connections i think there is 4all together i took off when i changed the clutch 1 for the lumbar sensor the one i cant find comes out from the bottom of the carb area ,it could be surplus i dont know but i need to find out one way or another as i feel thats why my headlights are on when i connect the battery but i could be wrong , im not using my car right now so leaving off the battery is fine i dont need to take out the relay.

a photo of the long cable will help.

4 cable to disconnect to remove the clutch?

My ABS Punto has two lamdas, and reverse light, there is an unused short connector at the back of the gear box. Since you have ABS you dont need the gearbox speed sensor.

I cannot think of another cable just at the moment.

My point about the headlight relay was more to help troubleshooting and ensure there is nothing weird happening when the relay is removed and the lights remain on.

When you say the ABS motor runs continually are you talking about when the engine is running or just when you turn on the ignition?

yeah mine has 2 Lambada sensors also one at the manifold and 1 further down ,the other connector goes into the clutch servo . and i just have a long connector hanging down not doing anything i will take some pics and post them soon , as of the ABS pump yes it is continuous running when i connect the battery even without the ignition on or key in , im thinking ive connected the wrong wire somewhere as thats all i can think of .

yeah mine has 2 Lambada sensors also one at the manifold and 1 further down ,the other connector goes into the clutch servo . and i just have a long connector hanging down not doing anything i will take some pics and post them soon , as of the ABS pump yes it is continuous running when i connect the battery even without the ignition on or key in , im thinking ive connected the wrong wire somewhere as thats all i can think of .

The faults are a bit odd. Apparently unconnected. The ABS unit self tests when you turn on. Look at the ABS fault codes. There are relays in the ABS unit which are unserviceable unless you cut open the back of the plastic cover.

Might be worth hammering the ABS unit on the off chance you can unstick the relay.

Checked the headlight relay yet? :)

yeah i think the whole car is a bit odd to be honest ive had nothing but problems with it its been in the garage about 7 year just sitting there when i bought the thing it had 5000 miles on it , but i had nothing but problems from day 1 ,the steering motor a common fault that went then the clutch i took it to fiat to many times i just got fed up taking it in aand them saying they had fixed it and they hadnt ,so i threw it in my garage and bought something else , until now when i had the urge to put a new clutch in wish id never bothered , anyway , i have banged on the ABS pump its still whirling away and i took the relay out and the lights are still on so ive given up punto connections.jpg

yeah i think the whole car is a bit odd to be honest ive had nothing but problems with it its been in the garage about 7 year just sitting there when i bought the thing it had 5000 miles on it , but i had nothing but problems from day 1 ,the steering motor a common fault that went then the clutch i took it to fiat to many times i just got fed up taking it in aand them saying they had fixed it and they hadnt ,so i threw it in my garage and bought something else , until now when i had the urge to put a new clutch in wish id never bothered , anyway , i have banged on the ABS pump its still whirling away and i took the relay out and the lights are still on so ive given up View attachment 218446

By the sounds of it the car is worth fixing if you can work it through methodically.

That picture if very unclear to me. I have the 16V punto.

If the lights and ABS were working for you in the past and you have changed nothing other than done the clutch you should look at why you have the light problem. These things are not impossible to fix if you can be systematic.

yeah im going to persevere with it and see how i go i will let you know if i manage to fix it not sure if this pc is any better but if you look at the carb at the back of it are 2 connections the one on the right goes down and a connector branches off that is the long connection i can not find a place for
punto1.jpgattachmentid=218455&stc=1&d=1623842162

i have sorted the headlight problem it was the earth cable from the battery to the gearbox my lights dont come on now however the ABS motor is still constantly running without the ignition on , i just cant figure it out ,,

Some progress then, but it had not penetrated my brain the ABS motor runs without the ignition on. I googled the problem. The relay being stuck is quite possible.

However two unrelated faults seems a bit weird.

From the wiring diagram the battery earth should go to E3 used by the lights via the connector at E3 and then to the gearbox. Unless you have custom wiring there is no way for the lights to operate without the relay being triggered.

If the lights operate with the gearbox earth disconnected you have a fault finding clue right there. A fault that sticks out even more that the lights can operate without the relay. There are though two headlight relays?

A car that has been standing for 7 years could have corroded earths.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your replies it has helped me , i have now sorted the continuous ABS fault i downloaded the wiring spec on ABC and found the only possible cause could be the brake switch at the pedal as i have been messing under there also as i have the dreaded punto steering fault as well . anyway the ABS fault was a dodgy Brake hey presto . Now i have another problem its like 1 problem after the other i go to start her and the battery seems dead after being on charge , so i reconnect the battery ive had for some time and turn her over she tries with a cough and splutter and sadly dies , i look at the fuel gage well yes we seem to be empty , so a can at the ready im off on my push bike , i get back home and ill her up she was rather thirsty , switch her on and she kicks into life after 7 years , however gear change was crunching when i selected several gears mmmmm problem after problem .

Thank you so much for all your replies it has helped me , i have now sorted the continuous ABS fault i downloaded the wiring spec on ABC and found the only possible cause could be the brake switch at the pedal as i have been messing under there also as i have the dreaded punto steering fault as well . anyway the ABS fault was a dodgy Brake hey presto . Now i have another problem its like 1 problem after the other i go to start her and the battery seems dead after being on charge , so i reconnect the battery ive had for some time and turn her over she tries with a cough and splutter and sadly dies , i look at the fuel gage well yes we seem to be empty , so a can at the ready im off on my push bike , i get back home and ill her up she was rather thirsty , switch her on and she kicks into life after 7 years , however gear change was crunching when i selected several gears mmmmm problem after problem .

Oh well. I am glad I can help you find the solutions to problems I might have with my car that i cannot find the solutions to.

Brake light switch causing ABS motor to run with ignition off is not obvious!! :eek:

Did you bleed the slave cylinder that operates the clutch ? if not then it would explain the gears crunching as the Clutch will not fully disengage

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
yes i have now bled the slave and gears are now going in fine thank god ,thankyou for your response though much appreciated ,i now have a further problem it appears the rad has sprung a leak ive now sorted but cooling fan dosent appear to be coming on ,maybe thermostat or relay not sure where relay is i will have to do some research ,problem after problem , iand the other problem is my front shock coil spring has broken and i just cant get those bottom bolts out to take off the shock i dont want to round the nut off so im gonna go to a garage let them do it as i dont have a press anyway and the holder for the front brake pipe bolt has sheared what a nightmare drilling that out i broke 3 drill bits and still havent managed to get through it . i will have to persivere and get it done i guess .

Thanks Dave for the info the slave seems to be ok after ive bled it so fingers crossed just got to sort out the other faults now.coolant fan not coming on and should be away thanks again for all your advise

yes i have now bled the slave and gears are now going in fine thank god ,thankyou for your response though much appreciated ,i now have a further problem it appears the rad has sprung a leak ive now sorted but cooling fan dosent appear to be coming on ,maybe thermostat or relay not sure where relay is i will have to do some research ,problem after problem , iand the other problem is my front shock coil spring has broken and i just cant get those bottom bolts out to take off the shock i dont want to round the nut off so im gonna go to a garage let them do it as i dont have a press anyway and the holder for the front brake pipe bolt has sheared what a nightmare drilling that out i broke 3 drill bits and still havent managed to get through it . i will have to persivere and get it done i guess .

Cobalt drills have been recommended on this forum. I have two of them. They are more expensive but they cut and keep on cutting. A wonder tool when you need it!

You know I encouraged you to keep going with your car because of the low mileage. But if it is already rusty then you could be on a hiding to nothing. I was fortunate with my own car that it had high mileage but was not very rusty.

Ahhh ok i think i will try those then thank you for the tip. i thought at one point i was going to burn my drill out i had the part in a vice in my garage i even had it on hammer at one point as i felt i was getting nowhere , no my car is not rusty at all really , its just been locked away in the garage getting on for 10 years , ive just been buying different cars , ive had a saab 93 , Kia sportarge vauxhall combo , its just im moving house and need to get rid of the car its just gave me the incentive to do it instead of putting it off all those years , i bought it with 5000 on the clock but i had problem after problem clutch brakes steering and i just kept taking it back to the dealer but i got fed up of doing and 3 years down the line after what the dealer said had put right all those problems it still had ,i was going to take them to court ,but i just didnt have the time at that point but it was to late when i did , im going to press on with getting it sorted , i just cant find the temp sensor at the moment . but ive not done much today ive been watching the football France and Switzerland what a game its been .

Ahhh ok i think i will try those then thank you for the tip. i thought at one point i was going to burn my drill out i had the part in a vice in my garage i even had it on hammer at one point as i felt i was getting nowhere , no my car is not rusty at all really , its just been locked away in the garage getting on for 10 years , ive just been buying different cars , ive had a saab 93 , Kia sportarge vauxhall combo , its just im moving house and need to get rid of the car its just gave me the incentive to do it instead of putting it off all those years , i bought it with 5000 on the clock but i had problem after problem clutch brakes steering and i just kept taking it back to the dealer but i got fed up of doing and 3 years down the line after what the dealer said had put right all those problems it still had ,i was going to take them to court ,but i just didnt have the time at that point but it was to late when i did , im going to press on with getting it sorted , i just cant find the temp sensor at the moment . but ive not done much today ive been watching the football France and Switzerland what a game its been .

The temperature sensor is the green thing at the back of the engine on the battery side. The hot heater hose comes from the sensor housing.

Back