Technical Magneti Marelli parts for Brava, where?

Currently reading:
Technical Magneti Marelli parts for Brava, where?

TheCROW

Can please anyone tell me where online I can view a Magneti Marelli product catalog online? I have a part, like a small computer part which is mounted in the console behind the ashtray, I think it is a thermal control unit, I think it is damaged cos nobody managed to make my heater fan work yet.....
I'm not able to find one... Can I test it to see if it works? Please someone help, should I consider selling my car?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!! GETTING DESPERATE!!!!!

I already searched at scrapyards with no luck and went to their site also nothin'.
Damn italian electronics...

Hello,

I see you havent managed to get the fan working yet. I'm not sure, i didnt get around to checking the forum lately, but in one of your previous posts you mentioned that there was a "temperature" button or something on your console, and that the display was coming on and off with the fault. Does your bravo have air conditioning ?, with electronic controls ?, because I'm not sure there ever was a full electronic aircon control on them. In this case, there is most likely a control module, like the one you have managed to pull out, but are you sure its not the airbag controller (this is mounted behind the ashtray on top of the tunnel). If it was the airbag ECU, then you will probably have the airbag light coming on when you put it back, but disconnect the battery for a while before you reconnect it, to prevent it going off accidentally. If the light is on afterwards you will have to have the faults cleared by the FIAT diagnostics.

However, if its not the airbag controller, then it would do no harm to bring it along to a local TV/electronics repair shop to have a look at it, as the cause of the intermittent fan is most likely a dry joint in the unit, which is easily repairable once you can open it. If you know electronics, then its no problem either. perhaps you could take a picture of the unit and post it here, and try to get a circuit diagram of the aircon system (I will check my autodata for it). If all else fails, you could wire up the fan temporarily to get it going again. Could you take a picture of the heater control panel for us, in case its not a standard one ?.

Unfortunately, it helps to have a little knowledge of electrics to help keep a FIAT going. but we can help you, so don't sell the bravo just yet !!

Owen..

Last edited:
Hey Stylers, I really appreciate your reply, believe me man, I'm getting pretty desperate here....
I'll update you on my status:
I mentioned earlier that I had wet floors in my Brava every time it rained so my guess is that the draining holes under the windshield were blocked so the water couldn't drain and it must have entered the car through the AC filter under the wipers.... Yesterday I cleaned and unclogged the draining holes and left the car in the sun for a while.....
So now, every now and then the heating fan operates normally and then all of a sudden stops and after a while it comes back on and then back off.
My guess is that no electrical parts are damaged they are just acting crazy because of the humidity, correct me if I'm wrong......
So, answering your questions:
1- The temperature button I mentioned sits to the right of the rear windshield demist button (last on the right, check the photo, it's not mine but similar), when pressed, it displays the outside temperature on the dashboard for a couple of seconds instead of the mileage digits. What's wierd about it is that whenever the fan functions normally, the temperature button also functions normally but when the fan fails, the temperature button fails also and gives nothing on the dash.
2-My 99 Brava has AC with regular dials, not electronic.
3-The module I pulled out (not me, the electrician at FIAT) has something to do with the AC, I believe it's a thermal control unit, it has a label where it's written:
Magneti Marelli Climtizazzione,
5.765.407.0.0 00467224420
010234 A 10 8 993
TIPO 185 ED. 1.7/1 LIV. 2

Donnow what it is but it's a black box which I opened, it has a circuit in there with a big Motorola chip, Cannot post a pic because they installed it back in the car.
4- I don't have airbags in my car.

Where can I get the circuits diagram of the heater system so I can show it to my electrician, it will save me a lot of time... Can you help me with that?
I really cannot express how much I'm grateful to your reply, thnxalot, people like you make this forum very helpful.

Attachments

• brava.jpg
    brava.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 48
Ok, going by your post i think you have the semi automatic air conditioning. I have attached schematics of both the simpler manual temperature control aircon and the semi automatic aircon. The semi auto system uses a separate control module to control the speed of the fan (located somewhere near the heater/evaporator unit), which is in turn controlled by the main aircon control module (the one you probably pulled out, with the motorola processor). This fan control module could be faulty, but i think you may have a power supply problem to the main aircon control module, since you say the temperature does not show when you press the button (and nothing else works). so i would check the supplies, and their associated fuses first (there are several - wow !). I'm not sure which engine you have, but if these diagrams are wrong, or anything is missing, let me know exactly which engine and year your bravo is, and i will check. It looks a complicated system, but I'm sure the problem can be sorted :)

Owen.

Attachments

• bravo_aircon_schematics.zip
    157.3 KB · Views: 83
Thanks again mate for your help....
My car is a 99 BRAVA 100SX 1.6 16V Manual.
The schematics you posted are for a Bravo, I donnow if they apply to my car.... How can I know if my AC is semi-auto or manual.....
For additional info, in my console I have a switch that controls the speed of the fan, it has the following positions: 0, auto, 1, 2, 3, 4.
Thanxagain mate.

Last edited:
Hello,

I think your aircon is semi auto - judging by the auto position on the fan control. Anyway, i forgot to include the self diagnosis info, i was looking at the wrong engine size and didnt see it, but the schematics are still the same. there is another diagram of the aircon components in the engine bay, but i didnt get time to upload it. if you need more info let us know..

Owen.

Attachments

• aircon_self_diagnosis.GIF
    aircon_self_diagnosis.GIF
    40.5 KB · Views: 155
Thanx Styler, I will try this today.
Please try to post the diagram you couldn't cos I have to take them all with me to the electrician. In the meantime I'm still worried about the water leaking into the mat, I'm afraid I won't be able to track it... Could it damage something in dashboard or anything else?
Thanxagain.

Ok man,

the other diagram was just for the locations of the aircon components in the engine bay - nothing much but it just shows the mian components. As for the water leakage, the carpets will probably take a while to dry out if you have stopped the leak - you could look at other posts about leaks but the main causes are usually sunroof seals, the water drain holes that you unblocked, windscreen not being sealed properly, and a leaking heater matrix, but then you will be losing water from the engine. If you think you have it cured, you could try using a dehumidifier to dry out the car. I wouldnt worry too much about it damaging anything electrical, but obviously you should get the leak sorted as it will destroy the interior eventually. to trace it you might just have to use a water hose on the outside of the car and examine the bulkhead/footwell area for water leakage. I will post the other diagram later today..

Owen.

here is the other diagram showing the main aircon components in engine bay. I should add that its not a good idea to disconnect or mess with air conditioning pipes or sensors on them unless the system has been de-pressurised using the right equipment. but you probably know that :) . Anyway, see how you get on with the electrician guy - hope he's a good one..

Owen.

Attachments

• aircon_components_engine_bay.GIF
    aircon_components_engine_bay.GIF
    45 KB · Views: 115
Thanxalot man for your help, I'll go to the electrician whenever I can and will report back....
I hope he's good too.
Thanxagain.

Back