General Magnatec oil

Currently reading:
General Magnatec oil

RUSSI46

Hi,guys, i know a few of you use magnatec,is it the 10/40 grade as there are a few different ones ? Also,Castrol sneekily use 4 litre cans rather than most companies who use 5 litres, is 4 litres enough for an oil and filter change or will i need to buy 2 cans ? I cant refer to my handbook as its in friggin Italian and i cant make head nor tale of it !! Anyone out there with a spare english handbook let me know how much you want for it. Hope the english teacher out there is happy with my typing and punctuation,takes me flipping ages to type this now i realise its being marked !!:D :D :D

Hi,guys, i know a few of you use magnatec,is it the 10/40 grade as there are a few different ones ? Also,Castrol sneekily use 4 litre cans rather than most companies who use 5 litres, is 4 litres enough for an oil and filter change or will i need to buy 2 cans ? I cant refer to my handbook as its in friggin Italian and i cant make head nor tale of it !! Anyone out there with a spare english handbook let me know how much you want for it. Hope the english teacher out there is happy with my typing and punctuation,takes me flipping ages to type this now i realise its being marked !!:D :D :D

6/10 - no need for a comma after Hi and there should be a space after a comma. Magnatec should be capitalised and there should not be a space after the last word of a question and the question mark itself. I should be capitalised (where referring to yourself) - English should also be capitalised, there is more but I will let S/S step in at this point and correct me!!................. :p

I am running Magnatec at the moment but am going to try 'Shell Helix Ultra Extra' at the next oil change, mainly because I could put it on my company fuel card before I am 'let go' next week! You need about 4.5 litres when changing the oil so you need to buy the 1 litre top up if you buy Magnatec....

Last edited:
............thank you LRB, I will pick up on only one mistake:- Head nor tail, not tale:D :D
Keep up the good work Russi, we are not condescending to$$ers all the time:D

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Should be fine. To be honest any premium oil graded around 10-40 will be fine. Avoid the supermarket stuff and 0-40 grades (too thin). I used Castrol 10-60 Edge Sport in the Coupe (100k tuned rebuilt turbo engine) and changed it every 5k. Gave an extra 1/2 bar pressure on the gauge when hot.

Barchetta engine isn't that highly stressed unless you've been following the turbo thread or red line it in every gear change. IMHO the best way to prolong your engine life is not to mod it, treat it with respect and change the oil / filter a bit earlier.

Avoid engine flush oils on an old car. You'll find it will clean out all the deposits including old oil sludge taking up slack in bearings etc. Motor could end up rattling like the devil and burning a load of oil afterwards. Better to buy the same grade of diesel engine oil and run it for 1000 miles to clean the sludge then drain and re-fill with the correct stuff.

Doubtless somebody will come after me with a cleaver for posting the above...

We'll need your address first, then we can send the cleaver gang to the right place!

Interesting idea though, never thought of that. I was thinking about putting some of this stuff which coats the engine with titanium, anyone tried that?

Not a fan of the aftermarket additives. If they were any good I'm sure the engine makers would recommend them as standard and they don't.

I'd stick by putting the best oil you can afford in the car and changing it and filter at 3/4 of the makers interval.

Last edited:
I have been using Magnatec in my B for two years now and look at this :)
Does not get any better then that. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 192
I have just changed the Magnatec oil in my car after only 5k today (car was on axle stands and I had some spare oil so seemed to make sense).....

Despite the fact that the car had only covered 5k I was very surprised at how dirty the magnatec oil was and how thick it ran. I have replaced it with Shell Helix Ultra 5-40, I'll be interested to see how it looks in 5k time..........

cool :) still think you should use selina (sp?) in a B though

Totally agree but could not buy it on my company fuel card!!

I have been running Shell Helix Ultra for a day and have already noticed the difference!!! Much smoother at tickover but the most noticeable difference is that on startup LRB used to have about 2-3 seconds of variator noise (only started a few weeks after filling up with Magnaetc) - I have started my b a number of times since filling with the Shell oil and I have not heard the variator once!

I will let you know how things progress but so far (y)

Back