LPG

Currently reading:
LPG

A

Anonymous

Im thinking about having my car converted to lpg anyone else had any experience?

Although I have not had it done myself I know a lot of people who have (because of most of them work for a major gas company who's headquarters are about 5 miles away) had the conversion done. The main consensus of opinion is that there is little difference in performance in a "normal" car driven "normally". Also the consumption is about the same BUT LPG is hugely cheaper. An example is a firend whos Range Rover does 14mpg on petrol also doea 14mpg on LPG but is about £20 cheaper on a 200 mile round trip!

However installation is from £900 to £1800 and you loose boot (probably) space because of the extra tank. Therefore to save money you have to do a fair amount of miles but the trade in value of your car would be higher because of the conversion and who knows what laws will come out in the next 3-4 years for motorists, it may be illegal not to have it by then!

Cheers
If you want further info please mail me direct questions and I will see if I can get the answers.

I looked into it....

And basically what has already been said is correct.
You only lose boot space if you keep the spare wheel.
They produce donut shaped fuel tanks for the LPG which replace the spare wheel. Trouble is most people don't want to lose the spare, so that just rolls around in the boot.

The thing is, are you going to do enough miles to warrant the conversion. I would reckon that you would have to do at least 15,000 miles per year for 3 years in a Bravo to recoup the intital outlay.

The car to be converted is a marea saloon 5 cyl 20v 2.0

chosen because of the huge boot.
Anyone know a reputable converter, cos basicly im scared to get it done without a lot of research in case it knackers the car.
i plan to do 13 - 20000 miles a year