General Lowering Springs, someone help me on this...

Currently reading:
General Lowering Springs, someone help me on this...

Red18

i see full suspension kits for maybe 250 max, and then lowering springs for about 60 quid, and they seem to do the same job, someone please explain what the difference is for ride height and ride ability.

I know full suspension kits will come with arms and shocks, but i don't want all that, just to lower my baby, so would lowering springs do it??

Thanks

Red x

i see full suspension kits for maybe 250 max, and then lowering springs for about 60 quid, and they seem to do the same job, someone please explain what the difference is for ride height and ride ability.

I know full suspension kits will come with arms and shocks, but i don't want all that, just to lower my baby, so would lowering springs do it??

Thanks

Red x

Springs will do the lowering. Shocks make it go round corners quicker (y)

also, lowering on standard shocks and lead to them failing quicker. think about it. if you lower it by 40mm then the shock is compressed by 40mm even without any load on it. the shock is designed with using its whole travel in mind. by removing 40mm, all movement is done in part of the shocks travel - and it fails quicker.

Thanks

Red x

You want to make it look better rather than handle better.

Cheers

D

exactly Rallycinq... I think these cars handle good already, and i only want to lower it by about 20mm, so my 14's fill the archway... so, worth it or not??? i know these cars are lowered by 20mm already right? so arc, saying 40mm is taking that into mind, but when he says they'll fail quicker, in what way...? the shocks will need replacing quicker as in they'll break easily?? because that in mind, i maze well just go for a full suspension kit...?

Red x

Last edited:
they won't break easier.. just quicker as the shock is only using a small section of its travel for all load situations.

i would get the full kit. i have a full kit on mine, the last time i drove one which was just lowered i nearly crashed it on the first corner because it didn't turn anywhere near as well as i was used to!

The car is not lowered 20mm, is only 20mm lower when compared to the non-sporting.

The orginial shock was not designed to cope with any lowering springs, therefore they would fail quicker. Considering your car is almost 8 years old, not a bad time to change them.

I would go for the kit: might as well change the whole lot, for all the trouble.

Ming

Back