Lowering Fiat 127 REAR - transverse leaf (but FWD)

Currently reading:
Lowering Fiat 127 REAR - transverse leaf (but FWD)

Dunk11

Hello All,

Doing a few bits and bobs on my Fiat 127 project - but a little stumped on how to lower the rear.
embarassed.gif

For those that don't know it has a transverse multi-leaf spring only mounted at either end. I'm looking to lower it (at least 2 inches) but cheaply!

Only ways I have found are decambering / flattening the leaf springs (either properly or with a hammer and smashy-smash adjustment) or the use of lowering blocks - is this even possible with a FWD car and just pack between the leaf and the wishbone?

I have read on one website that you can just pack-out the lower mount on the leaf spring clamp and I guess that will let it sit further down.

Any advice / recommendations?

Thanks in advance - will be some updated picturesin the reader ride thread in a couple of weeks once a bit more work has been done.

Thanks,

Duncan

Easy but expensive solution is to get a new spring made. For this to be done properly you will have to provide your old spring plus the spring techical data from the workshop manual.

Next solution is to create a lower spring plate on the wishbone. i.e. the spring ends need to rest 2 inches lower than the normal rest plate. To do this safely then some good welding is required. Done properly then it could also be adjustable via steel pin/bolt.

Remember that your lowered mounting assembly has to take the fully loaded weight of the rear of the car. eg. if the 127 weighs 1000kg gross laden and assuming 50/50 distribution then the rear loading is 500kg. Ideally each rear mounting should easily take 500kg on its own. Note 250kg each side. Also remember the bumps and bangs the rear end has to take.

Back