Technical Low compression on cylinders 1 & 2

Currently reading:
Technical Low compression on cylinders 1 & 2

Why is everyone so far away! 😂 if it wasn’t for petrol prices I’d take you up on that offer!!! There have been 2 really good videos on YouTube recently doing the clutch on a 500 & very detailed… giving me so much food for thought I could end up with gout 😝😂
You got a link, our 95k car will need a clutch at some point and if my daughter really wants to learn then it's a certainty

It's not so much what you've said, as the way you've said it.

Suggesting that someone with no previous experience of working on cars 'get their hands dirty' and fix this themselves isn't realistic or helpful. Changing a HG isn't a suitable first job for a beginner.

But I'd agree that some of the other responses are 'red herrings' which don't cut to the core issue here and may confuse the OP, who quite understandably will hang onto any hope of a cheaper and less complicated solution.

That's my advice, too.

You could likely sell the car privately 'as is' and if accurately described, it should make around £2000, or spend £1000 and have a car that's then actually worth the £3000 you paid for it. Not much of a difference financially, but if you sell it and put in another £1000, you've still got to find another used car for £3000 that's worth buying. In the current market, that's not easy, particularly for someone like the OP without an engineering background.
You got a link, our 95k car will need a clutch at some point and if my daughter really wants to learn then it's a certainty
This and

I desperately need advice/help, anything!
Bought a 2012 fiat 500 pop from someone in March, 69k miles. There was some ticking sound but she said it was the exhaust and the mechanic had told her that (my mistake for not investigating). After a month or so, the car was struggling to start every now and then, then it turned into almost every day, and then it was 5-7 tried per start to get it to turn on. The car feels like it idles a lot when not moving, and often feels like it’s going to cut out - it never has, just really feels like it. It had always kinda done this but I’ve never owned a fiat and honestly thought it was just the way the model is.
So summary of the issues - car struggles to start and feels like it idles a lot when not moving and also occasionally makes a ticking noise when first accelerating after starting the car for the first time in a few hours.
I took it to a garage saying it was misfiring, they said it needed new leads, a coil pack and spark plugs.. but no warning lights and nothing showed up on a diagnostics test. they then did a compression test and said that cylinder 1 and 2 are running on low compression and I would need to have the engine stripped to diagnose the issue that’s causing that.
This was 2 weeks ago and the car was struggling to start and needed quite a few tries to get it going every single day. Since that Friday, the car has struggled to start once or twice and only taken one extra try to start on each occasion, but the garage only looked at it, didn’t fix anything. The car still idles and feels shaky but is struggling to start less (probably means nothing) but any advice on what it could be? What could need fixed? Ways to not have to strip the engine?? The car was £3000, £1200 trade in value and to strip the engine only is £500 alone.. HELP
Hi All Its reg from ZAR. have a Fiat Strada 1.6 EL same problem Repair guy stripped found previous guy installed the HG the wrong way, this compromised the head and number 1&2 Cylinders. i also heard the same Ticking noise as i accelerated. drove slowly to the mechanic and now i am doing a complete engine & Head overhaul. my cost in South Africa is £550 Parts & Labour.
i think if you ran it for that long the motor might be beyond repair.

That may show you, but it's NOT a good video. It's ok if you've stripped other cars and know why he's doing certain things, but if you were to blindly copy that where it's not exactly clear what they are doing is going to end in disaster.

No instructions of what to look out for, not a torque wrench in sight, or mention of joy of the clutch alignment.
Needs more Edd China!!

Interesting that neither of the fellas bothers to loosen the wheel nuts, or the hub nuts until the wheels are off the ground. I presume the electric wrenches grab the nuts quickly enough that the whole wheel/disc doesn't rotate.

And does the offside drive-shaft really have to come out? I've swapped a few clutches and only nearside has had to come off...?

Ralf S.

I've got one of the dewalt impact guns, it took the driveshaft nut off in seconds with no brake applied and wheel off the ground.

I wouldn't use that to tighten anything as it can quite easily shear large bolts.

Why is everyone so far away! 😂 if it wasn’t for petrol prices I’d take you up on that offer!!! There have been 2 really good videos on YouTube recently doing the clutch on a 500 & very detailed… giving me so much food for thought I could end up with gout 😝😂
If our clutch needs changing (which is probably a long way to go from how we usually treat our clutches) I’d be happy to pay for your travel + you get free food and lodging 🤗

Back