General Lots of issues. Any help MUCH appreciated (brava 100sx)

Currently reading:
General Lots of issues. Any help MUCH appreciated (brava 100sx)

gowdyjames

Hi all,

I've got a brava sx100 1.6 (w reg)

Its going in for a service later this month (done 78k miles) - There are issues that i wan't to see if i can fix without paying the garage lots and LOTS in labour charges. - any help is welcome.

First off: when i run the car for a while (hour +) then park up and leave it over night, when i come back in the morning, the fuel gauge has plummeted!!! (note its on flat ground) - sometimes about a quarter of a tank difference then the display the previous drive.

Second: the car doesn't seem to have its idle speed set properly; when i push in the clutch when coming to a stop the rev's drop far below the idle before stuttering their way back to idle. - and sometimes the engine doesn't catch it and my car stalls (not nice whilst pulling up to a round about!) - this problem seems to happen when more and more electricals are running (lights, fans, CD etc) - though i know the alternator deals with them.

Third: Sometimes when driving, i'll push down on the accelerator and the car won't respond for a couple of secs and then will jump the rev's to catch up with the throttle. - Other times, it will accelerate FAR below normal performance and then keep jumping between normal and this almost restricted throttle performance. (hopping almost!) - note, it does this in all gears. This problem results in the car often jumping when using 1st and 2nd and low speed.

a couple of other issues, but that should keep you all going :)

thanks for any help!

EDIT: there is NO injector fault warning displayed, is this still the same problem as the other injector issues posts do you think?

Last edited:
must either be a leak, a faulty gauge or someone is nicking it.

The rest is likely to be those dodgy injectors looking at other recent posts.

as its a 1.6 you should check the resistance of your injectors, but your idle problem sounds like a dirty throttle body, give it a good clean out using wd40 or contact leaner or carb cleaner etc. also remove and clean the idle actuator and where it fits to the throttle body.

its always a good idea to make sure the spark plugs and ht leads are in good condition.

cranksensor is a possibility and would be next on my list after throttle body.

you dont need an injector fault light to have an intermittent injector failure, they usually get gradually worse and its not until the misfire becomes more permanent and severe that the light comes on. its something to check because you have a 1.6, but imo this problem doesnt sounds very much like injector failure, but it could be the early stages.

Back