Technical Loss of power

Currently reading:
Technical Loss of power

Culvo

Hi, I have a problem with my ducato 2.8 turbo diesel, it looses power when tackling long hills, but this is not happening all the time, most of the time it flies up, but occasionally it doesn't, any suggestions as to what might be the problem would be appreciated

Hi

I'm more familiar with electrics, so hopefully a Diesel expert will be along soon. In the meantime, being down on power is usually due to a lack of boost pressure. Would be useful to know the build year of your vehicle/engine code as the 2.8 engine evolved over time. Things I suggest you check:

Any air leaks in the hoses and intercooler, i.e. anywhere from the output of the turbo to the inlet manifold.

Partial blockage (possibly moving around) due to foreign body in the air hoses or air filter (mouse nest effect)

Turbo wastegate sticking partially open. Turbo wastegate link rod loose/sheared off. Wastegate vacuum hose leak

Faulty LDA (Ladedruckabhangiger Anschlag = Manifold pressure compensator). This is part of the injection pump with a diaphragm actuated by a pressure hose from the manifold. Boost pressure increases the fuel delivery. Check for split hose / leaking diaphragm.

If your vehicle is new enough, a check for fault codes via the OBD port may be the next step if you find nothing obviously wrong.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a problem with my ducato 2.8 turbo diesel, it looses power when tackling long hills, but this is not happening all the time, most of the time it flies up, but occasionally it doesn't, any suggestions as to what might be the problem would be appreciated
Could be muck in the diesel, causing temporary blockages with the fuel injectors. The fuel tank at an angle maybe sucking up residue from a part of the tank that is missed when level. plus the engine being at maximum pressure as its going uphill??

My other half tends to avoid fuel stations where the tanker is just refilling as he feels the process stirs up any debris at the bottom of the fuel station tank - Dad does that too.

Do you get a trail of black smoke when you lose power? It can be caused by a split in the turbo hose that only opens up under pressure. When it opens it affects the air/fuel ratio resulting in the black smoke.
In the past I have experience intermittent power loss when the EGR valve has become coked up with soot, but that was with a Toyota, but may be relevant.

Hello Culvo,

Very interesting, I see this topic a bit too late. I have basically a same type of issue. What is your motor code and do you have an EGR / catalitic converter?
At the moment when you feel you have power loss, do you see the temp gauge being higher than normal? Do you also feel than that the engine runs less smooth, is nailing more? Do you have lots of black smoke?

The interesting part is that you have it just sometimes.. Mine has it most of the times after driving a while and when the engine is hot. How warm does your engine get on the gauge? Mine is really stuck, and therefor i suspect a fine working thermostat, at one dot under the center, it goes just barely up when climbing and barely down when roling downhill without throttle..

Back