Technical Loss of power - Can you help?

Currently reading:
Technical Loss of power - Can you help?

Burnell

Hi Guys

I am still suffering with the occassional loss of power (never cuts out), normally happens when pulling away, then slowly picks up again.

Feels like it is in third gear or like you have left a manual choke out (if anyone can remember that far back) and before you say it, I have made sure it was first and not third.

The garage cannot figure it out and neither can I.

Mark

TY, will look into it. Me runs out and buys a haynes manual :D

Hello again, just to added to my original post. It never happens the first time the car is driven for the day, it only ever happens after that, be it the second or third time and it has stalled a few times normally while reversing. :rolleyes:

I have similar problem. where is the temp sendor. Also where is the fuel pump and how to i take it out to inspect it.

Just to add to the list above, all my dials have started to die. Started off as once in a while, but is now more like every 2 minutes. By dials I mean: Fuel - Rev - Speedo - Temp

If it is not one thing its a bloody nother. Yipee for engine out cam belt changes. (n)

Back to the garage on Thrusday with a print out of Polecats post, a nudge in the right direction might help. ;)

Mark (not so happy) Burnell

PS: Thanks for the help

burnell- bang the dash with your fist to get the dial working, although a more permanent option is removing the instument panel and cleaning the 2 connectors on the back of it.

if your car is always fine the first drive of the day you can be fairly confident the lambda sensor on the exhasut is to blame because the lambda only works once it has warmed up. try disconnecting it and see if that makes a difference. the connector for the lambda is hidden under a small plastic cover in the engine bay, located in the center near the windscreen, to remove the cover there are two black plastic knobs which need to be turned until loose, then pull the cover forwards and locate the connector, it has a white wire on one side (well i say wire its a white sheath over 4 wires). disconnect it and see if the problem changes.

potty- the fuel pump is in the fuel tank, access it by removing the round cover under the boot carpet. what engine have you got? do you have any lights on the dash illuminated? by temp sender i guess you mean the sensor to measure intake air temp, which is located on the inlet manifold. a haynes manual really is the best place to start looking for info, you cant own a fiat without one.

Cheers Jug, I am giving the garage a print out of yours and polecats replies. By the way what exactly does the Lambda do exactly?

Last edited:
it measures the level of oxygen in the exhaust fumes, this information is used by the ecu to adjust fueling. the ecu would ideally like to make sure the exact amount of fuel required is injected, no more no less. using the lambda reading the ecu can decide if too much fuel is injected (no oxygen in exhaust fumes) or too little fuel is injected (excess oxygen in exhaust fumes). getting the fueling correct is good for performance, emissions and economy. the lambda only works when it gets up to operating temperature because the detection of oxygen is based on a heated filament which will burn hotter in the presence of more oxygen. the heat is translated into a electrical signal which varies in voltage according to lambda heat and is used by the ecu to assess the level of oxygen. a very simple system but it works well until the lambda fails, as you can imagine the lambda has a hard life been stuck in the exhaust, they usually need replacing every 40-50k.

Cheers Polecat and Jugs, you hit the nail on the head. It was the Lambda sensor. Oh and Jugs, although hitting the dash was very therapeutic my hand did start to bleed after several hours of repeated bashing (the dash ;) ).
Turned out that one of the earths from the battery was loose. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your help.

Mark

Back