General loosening a non-standard s/wheel

Currently reading:
General loosening a non-standard s/wheel

MikeyD

Hi guys. I fitted a Strada Abarth s/wheel a while ago to my Sei and forgot to "line it up" properly, i.e its a bit squint (n)

I know how the logic behind taking it off, pull back hard, turn from side to side, but mine won't move off the spline at all. It's completely wedged on.

Is there anything I can try to get it to come away from the spline so I can re-fit and straighten the s/wheel?

Ive tried WD40 and let it settle for over an hour, but no joy. Should i use a mallet or summin? I dont want to break anything.

cheers
Mikey

A hammer and a long thick bit of wood.
Put something on the floor to protect the wheel when it falls off.

how do i hammer the wheel off though? its difficult to get any purchase on it, what with it coming towards you.....

the aftermarket boss is making it difficult as its stuck on the thread of the spline. A hammer would do the trick but i just dont want to damage the wheel or the boss or the plastic consol trimming.

Ah steering wheel! me not read right.
Leave the centre nut on but loose without any thread protruding and hit the nut squarely with a hammer whilst pulling the wheel.
Best done with 2 poeple..or try using your knees?

Yes, rubber faced or hide mallet.

Cheers

D

good to hear from you again mate.

im still a little baffled as to what is to be done here. Surely if i loosen the nut and hit the nut, nothing will happen? Am i not better taking the nut off? I dont want to damage the back of the Abarth s/wheel with a mallet but need to correct the position. Do you suggest i hit the back of the s/wheel? Wish i'd taken more time putting it on!!

You leave the nut on so that when the wheel comes undone it doesn't smack you in the pus.

You are tapping the column with the mallet just to provide a shock to release the wheel. Do not hit the wheel.

Leave the nut flush with the top of the column, this will save the nut from distortion and the thread from getting damaged.

Cheers

D

You leave the nut on so that when the wheel comes undone it doesn't smack you in the pus.

You are tapping the column with the mallet just to provide a shock to release the wheel. Do not hit the wheel.

Leave the nut flush with the top of the column, this will save the nut from distortion and the thread from getting damaged.

Cheers

D

As above but you need to pull on the wheel at the same time.

Cheers

D

i get ye, i get ye ! will give it a bash on Saturday, thanks and thanks to CC1 also!!

Mikey

i used to have a length of copper pipe i used.
so undo the nut until its flush at the top of the steering shaft.
put the copper pipe directly onto that and whack the pipe while pushing up/back with my knees.
all you are doing is working it loose.
you can even use a socket and extension bar but bear in mind its not respecting your tools nad could muller it

i used to have a length of copper pipe i used.
so undo the nut until its flush at the top of the steering shaft.
put the copper pipe directly onto that and whack the pipe while pushing up/back with my knees.
all you are doing is working it loose.
you can even use a socket and extension bar but bear in mind its not respecting your tools nad could muller it

thanks Custard :worship:

2 simple taps and it did the trick! Wheel pulled away easy, together with a spot of WD40.
My Abarth Steering wheel is now nice and centred.
thanks again to all

Mikey

All jokin apart, ive probably saved myself a lot of cash by gettin tips from lads on this Forum. Good stuff.

Cheers again
Mikey

Back