Technical Looks like oil in coolant

Currently reading:
Technical Looks like oil in coolant

Hi again guys,

Im here again seeking help in relation to my partners Y reg mk2 1.2 punto.

This is starting to become really frustrating as she has spent a fortune on a number of things to keep it in running order.

A few months ago the head gasket was done as the car was over heating etc.

About a month back, i noticed the coolant was dropping daily, this was due to the water pipe which we have had replaced. The car is no longer dropping coolant, however, it looks like it has oil in it. It looks an orange colour.

I checked the oil level and it was just above minimum. The car was just serviced with oil and filter 2 weeks ago so this is worrying that its dropped so much oil allready.

There is no "mayonaise" looking mess on the oil or coolant cap so im unsure what this could be. Obviously im worried the head gasket job wasnt done properly.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Austin

The orange is probably nothing more than rust in the ststem. This is fairly common.

Check the oil regularly with the car cold (before you start it up) -- that way you'll get an accurate feel. The difference between "max" and "min" is less than half a litre.

Only way to be sure the HG was done properly is to get a compression test done. Less than 20 quid for a compression tester on eBay or for a backstreeet garage to do it.

Remember, old cars are only cheap to run if you're prepared to do the work yourself (but the small FIATs are very easy).

If oil and water mix - the coolant doesn't go orange
Its gone Grey/brown/black
With what looks like somebody with the runs spraying it everywhere in your radiator block

If its orange
ever thought it was filled with Red/orange Super OAT anti-freeze?

Or they filled it with water and its rust
In which case you need to drop the coolant - fill with a decent anti-freeze with rust inhibators in it to prevent it getting any worse

And btw - Major is when water Enters the Oil
Not when oil enters the water

unless the gap is massive and they have had plenty of time to mix between them

ziggy

Back