Technical Looks like a condensor attached to the coil - is it?

Currently reading:
Technical Looks like a condensor attached to the coil - is it?

mmarks

Whilst playing with my 1979 1500 over the weekend & trying to start it, I noticed what looks like another condensor connected between coil +ve and earthed on the bodywork by the engine cover hinge. Sorry I have no photos but is this a normal part and if so, what is it for? The points condensor is attached to the outside of the dizzy.

It's a supressor (or filter) to clean up the noise on the battery supply to the stereo (and in particular the radio). They aren't standard but equally most modern cars don't need them, 20 years ago they were a common sight as almost every car needed one to get rid of the "fizz" from the ignition system.

Ah, that makes sense, so it is stopping the coil/ignition system causing noise on the radio. I haven't got a radio in there, and when I fit one, I have a little black box filter that goes to the power feed for the same reason so in that case I assume I can remove the suppressor with no adverse effects.

Many thanks!

Try it with just the "black box" filter but radio suppresion is generaly more effective if the suppressor is as close to the source of the interference as possible.

You may find it better with both.

Dave.

Back