General Looking at 500x urban

Currently reading:
General Looking at 500x urban

ema

Hi looking at a 500x urban what r they like and have I anything I need to know, any help would be good thanks

I've only ever driven a 1.3 Sport (with the DCT auto-box) but I liked it enough to order one as my next new car.

I decided to go with a 1.0 ltr, to get the manual gearbox but the 1.3 is pretty powerful and the auto box is actually pretty good (just I'm allergic to auto gearboxes in principle). I've driven Merc's latest C-class and the Fiat DCT is as good as that one... not shabby at all.

There's plenty of room in the car and it has good ground clearance, for off-road style hobbies or rural roads. Easy to get in and out.. but you'll find out yourself if you go to have a look at one. I found my renter had some wind or tyre noise on the motorway but otherwise the car is refined and easy to drive, very manoeuvrable and with good visibility... it's the kind of car that does everything you need without you noticing it.. so very handy for hectic family use.

500X seems to be fairly reliable, if you look on this forum.... just minor things to report (engine mounts and an electrical issue in the rear light cluster, pop up.. but the new engines may not suffer from the former, and Fiat has hopefully fixed the latter by now.

If you look on carwow and select a car that has no unusual options, then you'll get a good offer from your local dealer, for a "stock" car (one which is in stock within the dealer network/at the docks) especially as the end of the year is looming and they have targets to hit.

For the same money, you won't get anything near as decent or with as much kit. I looked at stuff like MG ZS (same sort of price/not as well made but lots of kit) and even Skoda Kamiq (kind of a Fabia on high suspension, which was actually more expensive, smaller and with less equipment.. not sure how VAG manages to sell any, tbh).

It's probably worth going to your local Fiat dealer and getting a test drive. The dealers I found were not falling over themselves to be helpful.. :D but I was after a non-stock car and a low PCP payment, so they probably only made £20 profit out of the sale.. can't completely blame them.. but you might have to persevere to convince them to sell you a car.

When I was in the chair, Fiat was offering a 3-yr service package (3 services) for about £350 which might still be available and is worth having.
It's all good value at the moment..

Ralf S.

Mine's a little older (2016) Cross Plus. Agree with the above about visibility (except the screen pillars, they're a bit chunky). The satnav on mine is not great, hope they've improved that. The car is OK to drive, even on longer distances. Personally if I had my time again I would avoid the 18" wheels, the low profile tyres look good but make the ride very hard - I'm going to put bigger tyres on shortly as mine need replacing

I would also get the Magic eye pack with the reversing camera and sensors. The curvy shape and high rear hatch window can make parking a challenge.

I ordered a 1.3 DDCT Sport in September, its due to be built at the end of January/early Feb, so if there is something that you want in stock then its worth looking at. Otherwise its a long wait for the semi-conductors to arrive.
As far as I can tell, there's not much wrong with the 500X, the 1.0 is more popular, we decided on an auto and don't mind the wait. There don't appear to be many 1.3s around and virtually no new ones in stock anywhere

iven a 1.3 S

Since I ordered my Sport (which should arrive in the UK in the next week or two for a late 2021 registration) I have only seen 1 other Sport round yer (The Land that Time Forgot 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿)... although more Cross and Cross Plus etc.

It's a little puzzling, since they're only a bit dearer than something "Daci-a-like, like a Dacia, or an MG ZS... but they have more or higher quality everything. It must have Fiat scratching their heads, what else they need to do.. 🧐

Still... it'll be fairly unique and no trouble to find in a car park.

Ralf S.

Back