Look after your teeth!

Currently reading:
Look after your teeth!

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
On Tuesday of last week I started getting some pain in one of my teeth. Nurofen helped. By Friday it was much worse, and my jaw was a bit swollen, so I phoned the dentist, who said that I had to go to the dental clinic on Saturday morning. So I did.
The dentist said it was a dental abcess, and the swelling was caused by infection, and pus builup under the tooth. I had to have a local anaesthetic, and the pus drained out of my gum :yuck:
I'm on a course of antibiotics (Amoxicillin and metronidazole, which tastes foul), but the worst thing is that one side of my face has now swollen up like a balloon! :eek: Whether this is a reaction to having my gum cut open, or the infection, I don't know, but I look like the elephant man :( My lip is all fat on one side too, which means I can't talk, eat, or even drink properly. Funny in the short term, but more than a bit annoying. It's like when you have a local anaesthetic, and your face goes numb, except much more pronounced.
My teeth were near perfect up until I was about 23. Then I had a job that involved driving around, and I never used to stop for lunch. So I snacked in the car a lot. Within a couple of years I had 2 fillings. And now this, which will probably result in a tooth being extracted.
So the moral is look after your teeth.
H

Wise words indeed. I've never had an abcess, but it sounds foul. My mum has then every now and then and She's in great pain. I was eating crusty bread a couple of months back and I started getting shooting pains up from my mouth, seemingly straight to my brain! there's no pain quite like tooth pains.
So, for my new year's resolution, I vowed to clean my teeth night and day, whether or not I was arseh*led or not. Usually when I'm trollied I just crawl into bed, but I now stagger into the bathroom to clean them keys :D

Helz said:
Hhhhmmmm, did he mention no drinking with Metronidazole? ;)(
Yes, the dentist mentioned it, the pharmacist mentioned it, and the usage directions mentioned it, saying it could have "undesired affects". I hardly drink anyway, so not a problem for me. I did see that a potential side effect of it was swelling of the lips, so that may be a partial explanation. That and the fact I've had my gum sliced open.
H

the boss in work has a puffy face, we named him popeye :confused:

i went to the dentist last week for 2 fillings, then got told i need to go back to have 1 taken out, i dont understand why though as it has never given me pain and has never been filled :eek:, i think the woman dentist and her beautiful sidekick nurse just want to see me again ;) :p

hmallett said:
Yes, the dentist mentioned it, the pharmacist mentioned it, and the usage directions mentioned it, saying it could have "undesired affects". I hardly drink anyway, so not a problem for me. I did see that a potential side effect of it was swelling of the lips, so that may be a partial explanation. That and the fact I've had my gum sliced open.
H

It's similar to antabuse, what they give to alcoholics to stop them drinking - reacts to with alcohol to make you vomit lots. It gives me great delight to tell Wigton folk this, they seem to be bunch of alkies who can't go without for a few days :eek:

gaz_wrexham said:
i went to the dentist last week for 2 fillings, then got told i need to go back to have 1 taken out, i dont understand why though as it has never given me pain and has never been filled :eek:, i think the woman dentist and her beautiful sidekick nurse just want to see me again ;) :p
Were they on different sides? When I had my two fillings done (on opposite sides), they said they wouldn't do both at the same time because of that.
On the other hand, maybe the female dentist just wants to press her breasts against your head. Last time I had a clean and polish with the female hygienist, that happened. I'm supposed to be having another one in March! (y) :D
H

I had an abcess on one of my two big front teeth last year, shooting pain all along my jaw.

Went to the dentist and he drilled a hole in the back of the tooth and then ripped the root out, after cauterising the gum with a heated probe he then filled in the hole, pain gone and I felt much better afterwards.

I don't think you get them through poor dental hygiene though TBH, I use listerine and brush with my electric toothbrush twice a day.

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
I don't think you get them through poor dental hygiene though TBH, I use listerine and brush with my electric toothbrush twice a day.
They can be caused by poor dental hygiene, but it's not the only reason they happen.
I'm just annoyed because up until 5 years ago I never had any problems with my teeth, now I have lots. :(
H

i've got 4 fillings probably cause i dont look after my teeth that well, will try now tho cause that abcess sounds painful! hope it goes quick (y)

I only ever had one filling and that tooth got pulled out anyway to make room for my wisdom teeth :D

Update - Part of my tooth just fell off while eating my tea. Pissed off now :(
H

Back