General Locking fuel filler PANEL, not cap.

Currently reading:
General Locking fuel filler PANEL, not cap.

HelpformyMum

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone knows of an aftermarket part allowing you to lock the fuel filler panel. I know you can lock the cap, but this is the first new car I've ever encountered where the actual panel cannot be secured, which is pretty poor.

I know the actual cap locks, but an panel which isn't secured when the vehicle is locked is very poor design.

So, to my original point, is there anything on the market allowing the actual panel to be locked?

Thanks,

Chris

Has the flap not got a pin that locks when the central locking activates? I thought it had.

If you buy an Abarth 695, the cap won't have a lock at all.

If you buy a Wrangler, it won't even have the flap :D

Although I fully expect society to collapse soon, to date I've never had fuel stolen from a vehicle.

I thought not having a locking fuel cap or flap was an MOT failure in the UK but it can't be, as the Abarth 595s have a non-locking alloy cap & the flap doesn't lock.

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:.

Good to have you along.

I know the actual cap locks, but an panel which isn't secured when the vehicle is locked is very poor design.

Er, why? So long as the cap locks, what's the additional advantage in locking the panel?

Has the flap not got a pin that locks when the central locking activates? I thought it had.

Nope, although you could be fooled into thinking there was by the small hole in the end of the tab which secures the flap (you can see this easily with the flap out).

I thought not having a locking fuel cap or flap was an MOT failure in the UK but it can't be, as the Abarth 595s have a non-locking alloy cap & the flap doesn't lock.

My 2010 panda does not have a lockable fuel cap either. It makes fuelling the car a bit easier than the 500 and as yet noone has helped themselves to my petrol.

The MOT requirement is that the cap is undamaged, secure and seals correctly.

There is no requirement for the cap to be lockable, but if it is, then you must provide the key so that it can be properly examined. The MOT station can (and should) refuse to test if the vehicle has a locking cap and the key is not supplied.

Last edited:
Had my locking flap opened by thieves, on my jeep.
It is made of thin tin, and was easily forced. Just bent the tab back and it works fine again.
False security!
Much rather have a locking filler cap.

The 500 (like the vast majority of newer vehicles) has an anti syphon mechanism built into the filler pipe. This means that it's vastly more likely that petrol thieves will just hammer a screwdriver through the plastic fuel tank than arse about with a locked filler cap.

As a side note, I believe that a locking fuel cap is vastly more secure than a locking panel (crowbar, cough).

Last edited:
The 500 (like the vast majority of newer vehicles) has an anti syphon mechanism built into the filler pipe. This means that it's vastly more likely that petrol thieves will just hammer a screwdriver through the plastic fuel tank than arse about with a locked filler cap.

As a side note, I believe that a locking fuel cap is vastly more secure than a locking panel (crowbar, cough).

Definitely. Fuel filler covers are really little more than a cosmetic device to hide the actual cap and perhaps smooth aerodynamics.

Can't think of any car I've owned thats had a locking fuel flap tbh.

I agree with sweetsixteen actually, someone tried to get diesel from husbands Jeep a few months back, we thought that had a locking flap and were rather relieved to find that actually it didn't because the cost of repair would have galled me.

Locking fuel filler flaps are pointless. My Saab has/had one. The pin that springs out failed whilst I was at a garage and I had to carefully prise the flap open to get to the replacement locking fuel cap I had bought to replace the original GM offering.

Also, I once drove down a street whereby all the cars that had had locking fuel filler flaps had been 'done' i.e. all bent back by morons thinking they could syphon fuel out. Glad my own is now just a pull open job.

Can't think of any car I've owned thats had a locking fuel flap tbh.

I agree with sweetsixteen actually, someone tried to get diesel from husbands Jeep a few months back, we thought that had a locking flap and were rather relieved to find that actually it didn't because the cost of repair would have galled me.

It's a sad reflection on the state of today's society, but if the alternative is having some thieving b*****d stick a sharp pointy thing through the fuel tank, I'll leave it unlocked & take the loss of the fuel.

No option on our other car, Renault Megane - the flap is on the central locking and is also the cap, as it seals the tank when shut. Very convenient, and hasn't been a problem in over 2 years.

Have you seen the new Panda? It doesn't have a filler cap just a hole where you put the filler nozzle in.
The flap has a rubber cover attached to it that covers over the hole when closed to keep water and dust out.
There is some kind of mechanism that seals the hole when you pull the nozzle out.
I'm assuming this will be standard soon across the range.

Have you seen the new Panda? It doesn't have a filler cap just a hole where you put the filler nozzle in.
The flap has a rubber cover attached to it that covers over the hole when closed to keep water and dust out.
There is some kind of mechanism that seals the hole when you pull the nozzle out.
I'm assuming this will be standard soon across the range.

Fords have it too.

Back