Technical Liquid Weld - advice needed!

Currently reading:
Technical Liquid Weld - advice needed!

ronnieronson

Bring On The Trumpets!
Now before Custard and Kristian both start shouting at me for bodging jobs (again), I just thought I'd better make this clear - this is NOT with bodywork in mind.

I have two things that need sticking together permenantly.
One is a steel rod.
The other is a copper sleeve I have made.

All I need to know really, is this: Is liquid metal epoxy going to provide me with a solid enough bond so that the two NEVER come apart?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated (y)

Don't bodge it :p

Nah, as Custard said, really need to know what its used for!

I fixed a cracked thermostat housing with chemical metal, and once it was off I took a hammer to it to see how tough it was....it was very strong indeed! But there are some applications i'd never use it for.

Kristian

you dont say what the application is
eg stress,heat,chemical contact etc

* reserving bodge shout for more info*

Funnily enough - it's literally just to hold two bits of metal together.
I've been working on some new headrests, and need to make sure the copper sleeve I've made doesn't come off inside my seats! lol

Don't bodge it :p

Nah, as Custard said, really need to know what its used for!

I fixed a cracked thermostat housing with chemical metal, and once it was off I took a hammer to it to see how tough it was....it was very strong indeed! But there are some applications i'd never use it for.

Kristian

Sounds more than strong enough - think of me using it as metal glue ;)

As said. The traditional, time proven, gold standard way of doing it is to use silver solder, but.............

:yeahthat: can see this coming apart at the worst possible moment

See above :)

....so - sounds like it may do the job

Last edited:
Got the wiper linkage fixed on my old Cinq with that stuff so should be fine :D

Yep, that will do the job just fine :)

:D woooo! liquid weld to the rescue!
Gonna try and get the job (as well as a little something else I've sorta had up my sleev) finished today - in readiness for the local cruise on Tuesday :D

Will post pics when complete (y)

The glue will hold. The plain epoxies are just as strong as the metalised ones -- the slow setting ones are strongest. Trick is absolute cleanliness (use meths, acetone, etc. to clean both parts after you've put a rough finish on them).

Can't guarantee that the assembly will hold together (copper is not exactly a strong material), but the glue should be fine.

Back