Linux Advice - Ubuntu

Currently reading:
Linux Advice - Ubuntu

So ive had a play around with Ubuntu in the past, all worked fine. Otherday i decided i wanted to play with a linux server. Chose ubuntu server. Soon realised that it didnt have a gui :eek: lol. So i downloaded Desktop after fighting to get GUI working on Server.

Burn Desktop to disk and ive tried both 8.04.1 & 8.04.2.

Now i Put in the disk, click on install, it does all the loading bar. Loads the desktop background and freezes. Ive also got to the bit with the white popup window saying "installer" once. It has also froze a few times on the loading/installing bar screen.

Now i cant seem to figure this out. Cant find a solution and the Ubuntu forum is tkaing ages for a activation e-mail to come through.

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks

J

Is it booting to a installer or is it one of these "live cd's" that work as an OS running of the CD with an optional install button?.

If it is a proper installer try hitting F1 for Advanced options. This will open a command prompt style page where you can type "linux noapic nolapic" without quotes. That passes the noapic and nolapic command to the kernel before it boots during setup which stopes it probing irq's and scanning hardware as hard as it normally does. So should be more compatible with your hardware.

Sorry i've never really used ubuntu :nerner:. Mainly cause it sucks :p.

Last edited:
ive tried all the lts editions. Server and desktop. (well the gui install ones anyways).

Used the i386 one and also the amd64 bit one as i have a amd 64 3200 in it.

With the 64 bit version i use normal install dont ghet very far. but if i use the OEM installer it goes through completes. restarts then shows the ubuntu loading bar after restart and gets 1 bar of the end and freezes :confused: Also tried with with the noapic and nolapic disabled on the other options bit of the installer.

anyone recommend another version of linux that has such features that ubuntu has like the auto package donwload and installer? wanting to try and use it as a server with a gui to teach my self and have a play around.

J

if your looking for something simple to play with and can be used reasonably try Dreamlinux as poss erm im trying to think lol, Madriva is also good

Thanks guys, as i said im wanting to turn in into a server with a gui for me to play with and maybe host email and websites on (only small simple ones lol) even thought i have a host.

Im using a amd 64 3200+ with 1gb ram (2 x 512) with an 80GB maxtor and a nvidia 6600 Gfx.

Nought exciting but its my old computer i replaced before xmas.

Ill try some of the other versions, thanks

J

Thanks guys, as i said im wanting to turn in into a server with a gui for me to play with and maybe host email and websites on...
Why would you want a GUI for that?

Download FreeBSD
Install Minimal install from CD
pkg_add -r apache2
pkg_add -r postfix

All done, I reckon it'd take less than 10 minutes.

Download FreeBSD
pkg_add -r apache2
pkg_add -r postfix

Yeah then what about configuration?. All you have shown him how to do is install apache and postfix package. For a complete newbie its a very daunting thing to do on the command line.

To OP what ever distro you want to use, look for a package called "webmin" it basically installs a web based configuration engine and lets you configure lots of things (including apache and postfix) through an easy to use web interface from any browser on any pc on the same network.

Download FreeBSD
pkg_add -r apache2
pkg_add -r postfix

excellent, now thats the bit i knew, what about config? :rolleyes:

To OP what ever distro you want to use, look for a package called "webmin" it basically installs a web based configuration engine and lets you configure lots of things (including apache and postfix) through an easy to use web interface from any browser on any pc on the same network.

Thanks for that, ive heard of webmin and was thinking of trying it, once ive got it running im going to look at different packages i can use on it and have a play around :)

Have you tried the alternate installation CD? I had to use that when my Ubuntu 8.10 install went wierd due to it not liking to be displayed via DVI to a TV.

Have you tried the alternate installation CD? I had to use that when my Ubuntu 8.10 install went wierd due to it not liking to be displayed via DVI to a TV.

dvi causes problems? hmmm ive got a dvi graphics card with a dvi to vga adaptor:chin:

might have to try it once ive tried debian.

Does anyone understan this "cd1/2/3/4/5/ and so on" stuff when you have to choose a download? it confuses the hell out of me? i thought i only needed one cd? :confused:

Back