legality of side repeaters?

Currently reading:
legality of side repeaters?

Do you legally have to have them? I wanna take mine off and put some nice japanese symbols around that area... is this gonna cause problems?

ben

bravo 1.6sx
looks: momo twin 17" alloys, debadged, smoked headlights, black side repeaters, black rear clusters, midnight window tint
feels: apex 40mm lower springs, apex sports shock's, k&n 57i induction
sounds: pioneer deh-7400mp, pioneer tse-6995 (rear)

Yes you do, no problem though. Set urself a mission to get them in the wing mirrors!! Or just buy some mirrors wiv them already in. Bish bash bosh!

Indicatorangles.jpg

Regulations regarding Side Repeaters & indicators in the UK

According to Statutory Instrument No. 1796 of 1989, a.k.a. The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, a four-wheeled passenger car used on public roads in the UK must be fitted on both left- and right-hand sides with one front indicator, one side repeater and one rear indicator. Side repeaters are not required on cars first used before 1 April 1986.

These lights must be positioned as follows:

- Location: Side repeaters, where fitted, must be within 2600 mm of the front of the car. Indicators must be no more than 400 mm from the respective corner of the car, although this requirement does not apply to cars first used before 1 April 1986.
- Minimum separation distance between indicators on opposite sides of a car is 500 mm, or 400 mm if the overall width of the car is less than 1400 mm. This requirement does not apply to cars first used before 1 April 1986.
- Minimum separation distance between a front indicator and any dipped beam headlamp or front foglamp: If the rating of the indicator is shown on the lens as category 1, 40 mm; for an indicator rated category 1a, 20 mm; for an indicator rated category 1b, no requirement [these ratings relate to – amongst other factors - the intensity of light output of the indicator unit - the relevant symbol will be shown on the lens, usually near to the approval mark].
- Angles of visibility: Horizontal - See diagram. Vertical – 15 degrees above and below the horizontal. If the highest part of the illuminated area of the light is less than 750 mm above the ground, 15 degrees above and 5 degrees below the horizontal. For a car first used before 1 April 1986, no stipulation is made other than that at least one indicator on each side must be visible both to the front and rear.
- Approval Marks: For cars first used after 1 April 1986, the lights must carry an appropriate BSI- or e-approval mark, accompanied by the following numbers: For a front indicator, 1, 1a or 1b; for a side repeater, 5; for a rear indicator, 2, 2a or 2b. There is no approval marking requirement for the above lights for cars first used before 1 April 1986.
- Size of illuminated area: This is not stipulated.
- Wattage: Not stipulated for lights with approval marks. For those without, between 15 & 36 Watts for front and rear indicators only.
- Colour: Amber
- Intensity: Not stipulated for lights bearing an approval mark. For those without, “such that the light is plainly visible from a reasonable distance”.
- Frequency of flashes: Between 60 & 120 per minute. In the event of a failure (of a bulb for instance), any other indicator on that side of the vehicle may continue to flash at a rate higher or lower than stipulated.

NB: This is only a summary of the relevant section of the Regulations, and should not be considered as definitive or complete. If further information is needed, we suggest you consult the Department of Transport for clarification.

(Taken from http://www.autostyling.co.uk)

Kendz

logo_phpBB.gif

www.kendz.co.uk

Have sourced some wing mirrors with em in for £59 :D Need to cut your own base plate though ;) I wonder just how hard that would be.... also, where the heck i run the wire to? the current side repeater location?

ben

bravo 1.6sx
looks: momo twin 17" alloys, debadged, smoked headlights, black side repeaters, black rear clusters, midnight window tint

yeah nah i didn't like them, too expensive too (i can get dtm for £49).. but that is a good point about the body shop... dunno if i would want the base sprayed though, the mirrors casing yes, but perhaps leave the base plate black so it blends in with me tints... we're probably looking at about £70 to fit yes?

oh and si, you see my post about the mesh (in bravo / styling forum)?

ben

bravo 1.6sx

Back