Legal Help

Currently reading:
Legal Help

I need a recommended solicitor,
Anyone pm me a solicitor that does small claims court stuff.

I want proper legal advice. And things odds are that someone will have been dragged though the small claims court on similar stuff

for the rest of FF.

basically I'm open to be taken to the smalls claims court my Bradford college.
I am going for not paying under misseling.

Please acknowledge receipt of email before investigating.

Going to take some legal advice on the situation due to this causing alot of stress.

Could do with the following points clarifying.
may be more at a later date.

Point one.
Misselling
You website states no course will cost more than £900 +exam fees.
"If you are aged 19 or over after 31st August 2015 and you are commencing a Further Education Course at Bradford College, then you may have to pay course fees (tuition fees are capped at £900, plus any examination fees or equipment and residential costs). Actual costs can be obtained from the Bradford College website, our College prospectus or by telephoning Admissions on 01274 433333."

Also it could be classed that The A level is one course taking the fees to 900 for the two years + exam fees.

Point two
The offqual link provided by "x"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/qualifications-simplified-funding-rates-2015-to-2016

it states a minimum taught hours as 360 hours, 180 per year. you state you will provide 120 this year

Point Three
Also I belive you will not manage to provide 120 hours this year, due to good Friday and other reasons, I have not checked yet fully but I believe the odds to be High

Point Four

Misselling
I should have been informed last year when signing the contract with you that tuition fees would rise and course hours decrease in the second year

Its been opened as a complaint. now im been ignored again.

If you want a solicitor, go round the local ones with local office. Internet solicitors generally aren't - mostly "legally trained" call-handlers.

Not sure you're right in thinking A levels are a single two year course though, I don't think they've been that way for ten years or so. Progression from AS- to A-level is rarely automatic. But your contract should make that clear. If you've still got a copy.

If you want a solicitor, go round the local ones with local office. Internet solicitors generally aren't - mostly "legally trained" call-handlers.

Not sure you're right in thinking A levels are a single two year course though, I don't think they've been that way for ten years or so. Progression from AS- to A-level is rarely automatic. But your contract should make that clear. If you've still got a copy.
what I should have added is the problem, last year it was about 800 quid this year they want £1200.
there exam fee is £50
so should come to £950 if using their website.

they have also dropped the hours from 6 to 4.

cheers.
I half know that, but more pointing out their poor wording.

They are changing the A levels tho, into a single 2 year course.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...el-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform

not relevant for this tho.

so should come to £950 if using their website.
Unless there are £250 of equipment fees, or you're using an Advanced Learning Loan to finance the course. There's no fees cap if you're using an ALL.

Total hours can drop because you don't have the post-exam sessions that you have at AS-level. Some colleges do choose to use 4 taught hours per week, but it depends on the course (you don't say which subject), the entrance level of the students and the extent of directed self-study that's being expected.

If you're going to pursue this:
  • Speak to your NUS rep.
  • Speak to your class rep.
  • Try CAB for free advice before contacting a solicitor.

A level mathematics.
so no equipment fees.
and not using any loans.

Speak to your NUS rep. didn't think off that.
Speak to your class rep. trying not to, / don't want to. think it may effect teaching.
Try CAB for free advice before contacting a solicitor.
Last time I used CAB for deposit recovery advice, they were next to useless.
So just feel they will say just pay it.

Citizen's Advice probably won't be able to help - this is out of their remit.

The Citizen's Advice Consumer line might be able to help though. It's 0345 4 345 345 I believe. The numbers on their website though. They're trained beyond that of most in-house people. But they are still not allowed to give legal advice I think.

They won't just say pay it either. They should really give you your options, and if they say "just pay it" it's probably for a good reason or lack of options. Good luck though.

Last edited:
Point Three
Also I belive you will not manage to provide 120 hours this year, due to good Friday and other reasons, I have not checked yet fully but I believe the odds to be High
^ if this is a direct quote from your complaint, it's no wonder you're being ignored. If you're making a complaint you need to count up the hours, not be vague. Be precise.

You've had a few days now, have you talked to your NUS rep or looked up a local solicitors?

I included a calendar with noted hours in initial complaint.(need to grab it off a hard drive) its almost certain it would go under the stated amount. It's a weak complaint.

My original complaint was 13 pages long.
https://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/study/adult-students/fees

But even still I should have received a reply by now regardless.

I have emailed my NUS rep and contacted a solicitor via an online form.
not rang cab but used an online form on a solicitor not revived anything so going to on Tuesday ring them maybe pick another.

I have been arguing since September I ain't exactly fast

I need a recommended solicitor,
Anyone pm me a solicitor that does small claims court stuff.

The problem with engaging a solicitor for small claims court work is that you won't be able to recover the cost, even if you win, and the cost is likely to be more than you would be awarded even if your claim is successful. The whole point of the small claims track is to provide access to the Court service without the usual cost of engaging legal counsel.

However, some solicitors offer a fixed fee initial consultation and that might be worth considering, to get professional advice on the likelihood your claim will succeed. They won't write any letters or do any work on your behalf for the initial fee, though. CAB will have a list of any solicitors in your area offering such a service.

Tbh, from what I've read so far, I'd suggest you swallow your pride, pay what's being asked for, and concentrate on your studies. Leaving college with the best results you can obtain will be worth far, far more over a lifetime than anything you could gain in the short term by spending valuable time and energy in pursuing this.

Last edited:
The problem with engaging a solicitor for small claims court work is that you won't be able to recover the cost, even if you win, and the cost is likely to be more than you would be awarded even if your claim is successful. The whole point of the small claims track is to provide access to the Court service without the usual cost of engaging legal counsel.

Didn't know that costs ect.

However, some solicitors offer a fixed fee initial consultation and that might be worth considering, to get professional advice on the likelihood your claim will succeed. They won't write any letters or do any work on your behalf for the initial fee, though. CAB will have a list of any solicitors in your area offering such a service.
Thats what i'm after and will do that tomorrow.

Tbh, from what I've read so far, I'd suggest you swallow your pride, pay what's being asked for, and concentrate on your studies. Leaving college with the best results you can obtain will be worth far, far more over a lifetime than anything you could gain in the short term by spending valuable time and energy in pursuing this.

It's gone on too long and its too personal. considering i'm on the 3rd person now who has ignored my email (s)
plus I'm only doing the one course so, all its causing is excess stress.
but paying more than I would have to would nag me for ages.
Still going for the £900

They're probably still reading it!
nah most of it was just a summery of every conversation since September. and that was sent months ago.

For tonight I'm going to just email the CEO again. maybe sticking with just The website quote.

I appreciate the help.

It's gone on too long and its too personal. considering i'm on the 3rd person now who has ignored my email (s)
plus I'm only doing the one course so, all its causing is excess stress.

They will have all manor of small print and small print on small print that allows them to change fees and costs as they want I can't see you getting very far with this but this will cause all your excess stress, and most likely without a positive outcome.

As for "its too personal" only for you I would suggest and taking it personally is not going to help you in this situation all that's going to achieve is pushing you way beyond what should be a normal cut off point for any logical person

the personal side its more the weeks i'v waited and then not got a response to the question(s) I asked. record so far is 3 weeks, then I'v emailed the ceo again.
very little in terms of small print, But if I was provided an answer to some questions rather than none.
The complaint I raised. He told me XYZ on phone and then the letter response was not same. I recived a £30 refund from last year not even mentioned in complaint but its been administered by one of the persons I complained about.

On the small print, I can't see much but.

was on site all day so didn't get chance to ring cab.

Back