Technical LED trailer lighting and Panda Electrics

Currently reading:
Technical LED trailer lighting and Panda Electrics

Hi,
I'm currently refurbishing a small unbraked trailer for use with our Panda. We have a Thule (now branded Brink, I believe) detachable bar and 7-pin electrics fitted.
As part of the refurb on the trailer, I need to replace all of the lighting and was thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade to LED lights (on the trailer). My question is that I have heard some cars respond adversely to LED lighting on the trailer board, as the current draw is insufficient and this is interpreted as a blown bulb, producing an error message on the dash. Has anyone had any experience of using LEDs on trailer lighting with the panda? Appreciate that there are LEDs available with an extra resistor, but don't want to go down that route unless necessary.
Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I'm currently refurbishing a small unbraked trailer for use with our Panda. We have a Thule (now branded Brink, I believe) detachable bar and 7-pin electrics fitted.
As part of the refurb on the trailer, I need to replace all of the lighting and was thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade to LED lights (on the trailer). My question is that I have heard some cars respond adversely to LED lighting on the trailer board, as the current draw is insufficient and this is interpreted as a blown bulb, producing an error message on the dash. Has anyone had any experience of using LEDs on trailer lighting with the panda? Appreciate that there are LEDs available with an extra resistor, but don't want to go down that route unless necessary.
Thanks in advance!

I have used LED trailer lights when towing with my Panda (the teardrop you can see in my avatar), no problem.

The only problem I have is with radio interference when on the (Australian) AM band - clicking from brake light activation or indicators can be heard thru the speakers.

I can't help you with the specifics if you're wanting to make your own loom, but I used a loom made by Right Connections, http://www.rightconnections.co.uk.

I did not buy my loom through RC; it was supplied (at additional cost) with my Umbra Rimorchi towbar.

Part number is 19050520RC. The fitting instructions indicate that it is compatible with Panda, Panda 4x4 and Panda Trekking 10/12-on.

I have used LED trailer lights when towing with my Panda (the teardrop you can see in my avatar), no problem

This is reassuring, AusPanda! I've actually take the plunge and ordered some LED replacement lights, along with the necessary cabling etc to re-wire the trailer. if I do experience difficulties, it looks like it's simply a case of inserting a stand-alone resistor (available through eBay etc) into the trailer loom for the indicators (reading up, it sounds like only indicators are likely to be affected) to up the consumption such that the car can 'see' the light is working. My reason for shifting to LED is to try and avoid the blown bulbs that seem inevitable on a lightweight trailer bouncing around behind the car, as well as hopefully provide a brighter illumination.

Not too concerned about a little interference to the radio - I rarely listen to AM and this will be an occasional-use trailer. Will watch out for it though!

Looking forward to trying it out - trailer now well into it's refurb and looking good - just a little 400kg utility/box-sided trailer, but I also have a trailer chassis that might be turned into a single-bike motorcycle-trailer, if the Panda proves ok pulling the weight.

My Panda 4x4 TA Antarctica runs a LED lighting board fine.

My bar is Thule and the electrics are 7 way bypass, not a dedicated kit.

It all works fine except for the bypass "beep" when indicating is missing, this is due to the low power draw of the LED's, the beep returns when on normal bulbs.

Goudrons - so I received the lamps and cabling in the post and did a temporary wire-up to test ahead of fitting to the trailer - I found exactly as you did, that they all work fine, minus the buzzer. I'm not too concerned about that, especially as the point of moving to LED is to try and reduce the chance of malfunction anyway and you'll still be able to clearly see the Panda's lights over the top of the trailer.
Boy - those LEDs are good! Bright, clear lighting - nice!

Back