Technical LED Sidelights - Bulb Warning

Currently reading:
Technical LED Sidelights - Bulb Warning

mehstg

GPS Multijet 1.9 Orange
Hi people

Just bought some LED sidelights (without reading the forum coz i'm a tw*t!)

Obviously, as people have posted, these do not work with the GPS as the ECU thinks a bulb is out and shuts off the power to the bulb.

I have been looking at load resistors to wire in series to the bulb, but am a little reluctant to buy yet without knowing a little more.

Has anyone on here fitted these to their GP? - As i want to know how much heat the resistors throw out. Also where would be best to mount them, as all the wiring for the sidelights in the GP is underneath the rubber cap so do not really want it outside of that.

Cheers

Paul

What so you cant use those LED sidelight bulbs on a GP, that sucks.

I swear people have done it before on here though.

Works ok (with the bulb indicator light on) if I have just one in and a normal bulb on the other side. But if I put both in, all I get is a really dim flicker. Think I might just get the osram sidelight bulb to match my nightbreakers!

By the way, how hard is it to change the front indicator bulbs on the GPS 1.9 Diesel. Can do the main H4's and the sidelight bulbs, but I swear u'd have to have Jeremy Beadle hands to get into the indicator bulbs without removing something first!

P

LEDs draw less current then normal bulbs do. I think you can up it by introducing resistors.
But i think as the current is so low the stupid computery things thinks there is no bulbs :eek:

But i think as the current is so low the stupid computery things thinks there is no bulbs :eek:

There is nothing "stupid" about it, it does what it is designed to. If you start fecking about and altering the characteristics and parameters of the electrical system you can expect things to go tits-up.

i have led sidelights, and numberplate lights, im just clever and know what type of resistor to fit though :p

Hi people

Just bought some LED sidelights (without reading the forum coz i'm a tw*t!)

Obviously, as people have posted, these do not work with the GPS as the ECU thinks a bulb is out and shuts off the power to the bulb.

I have been looking at load resistors to wire in series to the bulb, but am a little reluctant to buy yet without knowing a little more.

Has anyone on here fitted these to their GP? - As i want to know how much heat the resistors throw out. Also where would be best to mount them, as all the wiring for the sidelights in the GP is underneath the rubber cap so do not really want it outside of that.

Cheers

Paul

and the resistors get hot, extremely hot

so where have you put the resistors if they get that hot?

Don't fancy seeing the resistors surfacing as they have melted through my bumper, lol!!

P

so where have you put the resistors if they get that hot?

Don't fancy seeing the resistors surfacing as they have melted through my bumper, lol!!

P

they arent hot enough to melt plastics, in the back of the light unit

3 x 90 Ohm resistors in parallel over the terminals of the led bulb should do the trick and make your car detect the bulb.

Make sure you get a 2W or more rated resistor.

Last edited:
Resistors for sidelights

I Know that you need to run a resistor to make the sidelights work when your using an LED bulb so that the blown buld bit on the dash dont show up

so were can i get one from and what size do i need

thanks jase

Back