LED rear fogs and reverse lamps

Currently reading:
LED rear fogs and reverse lamps

Does anybody use them? I'm thinking of fitting a pair to my 126. Their slim design and low maintenance would be a great help but I'm unsure about legality or effectiveness? Has anyone ever had there car fail an MOT because of LED fog lamps?

Here a picture of the sort I'm thinking of

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 34
I think that as long as the wattage doesn't exceed 21w it should be alright. The other things to consider are positioning and angle of the light pattern. If you're just putting them in the same place as the old ones placement shouldn't be a problem and beam angle should be taken care of by BSI or EU symbols.

If you look for the approval marks you should be in the clear legally so MOTs shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing you might have to consider is to make sure the fittings themselves don't damage the car.

I use these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350360387159?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've used LED tail lights with built in indicators on Streetfighter projects before. My GPZ1100 had a ZX636 seat unit with after market lights. The only issue was having to put inline resistors in place so the indicators flashed at the correct frequency.

The modern ultra-bright LED tail lights are within the bounds of the construction and use regulations but as far as M.O.T testers go you'll either get...

"If they work they're fine".

...or...

"Sorry you need lights in keeping with the age of the vehicle".

Ask your local M.O.T guys before spending your money. ;)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I think that as long as the wattage doesn't exceed 21w it should be alright. The other things to consider are positioning and angle of the light pattern. If you're just putting them in the same place as the old ones placement shouldn't be a problem and beam angle should be taken care of by BSI or EU symbols.

If you look for the approval marks you should be in the clear legally so MOTs shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing you might have to consider is to make sure the fittings themselves don't damage the car.

Great stuff :) they won't be going in the same place as the old ones as I'm dropping the old plastic bumpers in favour of the lovely earlier chrome ones. I could buy ones that just hang off those but I don't like the style so thought about attaching them below the bumper in/on the bodywork so they were out of the way and not sticking out

I use these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350360387159?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've used LED tail lights with built in indicators on Streetfighter projects before. My GPZ1100 had a ZX636 seat unit with after market lights. The only issue was having to put inline resistors in place so the indicators flashed at the correct frequency.

The modern ultra-bright LED tail lights are within the bounds of the construction and use regulations but as far as M.O.T testers go you'll either get...

"If they work they're fine".

...or...

"Sorry you need lights in keeping with the age of the vehicle".

Ask your local M.O.T guys before spending your money. ;)

Nice one bud (y) it's not so much the bulbs I'm after as the whole lamp itself

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back