Technical Led Foglights

Currently reading:
Technical Led Foglights

I'm thinking about changing my fog light bulbs to LED's.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and knows if it will bring up errors on the dash and if the bulbs are actually any good
Thanks

I'm thinking about changing my fog light bulbs to LED's.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and knows if it will bring up errors on the dash and if the bulbs are actually any good
Thanks

No point really, as it's illegal to have fog lamps on unless its poor visibility, and when it is poor visibility LEDs are not going to be adequate to fulfill the job that front fog lamps do.

I'd just leave them as they are.

No point really, as it's illegal to have fog lamps on unless its poor visibility, and when it is poor visibility LEDs are not going to be adequate to fulfill the job that front fog lamps do.

I'd just leave them as they are.

Cheers mate, was thinking about them being a little rubbish when it is actually foggy I will leave it as standard

Could convert them into DRL's, wouldn't be too bad, foglights do very little even in bad weather tbh and I'm not just saying that because I don't have them!

They're the most annoying things ever when people leave them on, especially on those nissian jukes, I wish it was a 2 warning then fine for when people do it, people wont learn :mad:

An absolute faf though TBH. Having to modify the housing etc.

Why would it be? I did fit LED's and currently use them as DRL's. They are nowhere near blinding but do make the car stand out from the background when it's facing you. Of course they get switched off during night time when my mains are on

Why would it be? I did fit LED's and currently use them as DRL's. They are nowhere near blinding but do make the car stand out from the background when it's facing you. Of course they get switched off during night time when my mains are on

Because unless you have rewired them correctly then they are still foglights, regardless of what you intend them to be

Yep installed 2 relays for that purpose. They come on with the ignition and go off when i switch on sidelamps

Because unless you have rewired them correctly then they are still foglights, regardless of what you intend them to be

Is the point you're making that they would still be illegal?
If so do the cornering lights not also break the law as technically a fog light is on every time you turn a corner? Or are they focused with them being of dual use?

Why would it be? I did fit LED's and currently use them as DRL's.[/QUOTE

But they are still fog lamps, one does not simply make them DRL's by installing LED bulbs, they're an unmodified housing I assume? If so then they're still fog lamps, spreading the same beam pattern as fog lamps, and as such are being used illegally (n)

Yep installed 2 relays for that purpose. They come on with the ignition and go off when i switch on sidelamps

As above, doesn't matter when they come on, its no different if you'd left the filament bulbs in them and wired in the 2 relays.

If so do the cornering lights not also break the law as technically a fog light is on every time you turn a corner? Or are they focused with them being of dual use?

Corning lamps use the same beam pattern, but one at a time, and are type approved. You'll never have a DRL unit doubling up as a corning lamp.

Fog light beam pattern - Low wide beam
DRL beam pattern - Long distance and narrow beam

They're two completely different beam patterns, which is why chricol is still illegally using their foglamps when they're on (unless visibility is below 100 meters), and why just because LED bulbs have been installed they're not suddenly DRLs.

Why would it be? I did fit LED's and currently use them as DRL's.[/QUOTE

But they are still fog lamps, one does not simply make them DRL's by installing LED bulbs, they're an unmodified housing I assume? If so then they're still fog lamps, spreading the same beam pattern as fog lamps, and as such are being used illegally (n)

As above, doesn't matter when they come on, its no different if you'd left the filament bulbs in them and wired in the 2 relays.

Corning lamps use the same beam pattern, but one at a time, and are type approved. You'll never have a DRL unit doubling up as a corning lamp.

Fog light beam pattern - Low wide beam

DRL beam pattern - Long distance and narrow beam

They're two completely different beam patterns, which is why chricol is still illegally using their foglamps when they're on (unless visibility is below 100 meters), and why just because LED bulbs have been installed they're not suddenly DRLs.

Sorry I haven't made myself clear. I didn't mean the fog being dual use as a DRL
I meant the dual use as a foglamp and also as a cornering lamp as the cornering lamps operate with headlamps on so at nighttime in clear visibility. Are they therefore not breaking the law as they are technically still a foglamp. Just lighting up independently rather than together

Sorry I haven't made myself clear. I didn't mean the fog being dual use as a DRL
I meant the dual use as a foglamp and also as a cornering lamp as the cornering lamps operate with headlamps on so at nighttime in clear visibility. Are they therefore not breaking the law as they are technically still a foglamp. Just lighting up independently rather than together

I think it may have been me who didn't with the layout of my multi quote. Just the first paragraph after your quote was in response you your query about cornering lamps (y)

They also only light up at low speeds <25mph ish iirc

Back