Styling Led daylight

Currently reading:
Styling Led daylight

Just to add more fuel to the fire here so to speak. Even if your of the opinion of day/lights being a safety feature, in some eyes this is not strictly true & not so straightforward as would appear. Believe it or not there is a strong following for both, for & against these lights. Just for instance the lobby against day/lights allegedly have statistics that put motor cyclists in danger because they get obscured & merge with these lights. There are a number of issues raised, too numerous for me to go into. I believe its been discussed at government level to make it law in this country, for the use of the day/lights, but they couldn't come to an agreement for various reasons. Having said that, some commercial vehicles may have these lights in a couple of years or so.

The 'masking (motor)cyclists' arguement is the only issue at the mo with the introduction of DRLs. Ultimatly I can't see it being to much of an issue the majority of the time, and I've done a paper on it for a unit of my degree last year :p :eek:

Perhaps not the right way to look at it, but if its going to save 100 lives, and cost 1 extra life in (motor)cyclists then surly its a good thing? (Btw I am a cyclist).

And as for the latter your on about, EU diretive, cars and light comercials from Feb 2011 (next year) will have DRLs. Only thing I'm not 100% sure on is if its all new sold vehicles, or new designs/models from Feb 2011 (hope that last bit made sense?).

Personally I dont have a problem with these lights per say. The original post was about those fairy lights(n). Anything that proves to be a safety measure is obviously a good thing, but the very fact that these lights are in question in the first place puts doubts on things straight away. I cant do links but there is more than a fair share of the "against" lobby on the net, granted the Yanks state their case as well, but we motorists have really done without for years is all of a sudden going to save 100's of lives:confused: Cynic that I am we just use the lights on the car if the conditions require. This has been pointed out before, & if you dont recognise these conditions, I'm of the opinion you shouldn't be driving, this indeed would be a safety measure. One less clueless driver on the road.;)

I'm also of the opinion another thing forced on the motorist when really not necessary, more expense that we motorists will be faced with. this may sound slightly over the top. Basically my point is, why?, when it's strictly not necessary, & before I get hit by the statistics that lives it will save, there are statistics that can say otherwise. Now we all know about statistics;)
Just to add..............
Kevin Clinton head of road safety RoSPA said..."We don't think that the evidence justifies daytime running lights on vehicles in the UK..

Last edited:
Personally I dont have a problem with these lights per say. The original post was about those fairy lights(n). Anything that proves to be a safety measure is obviously a good thing, but the very fact that these lights are in question in the first place puts doubts on things straight away. I cant do links but there is more than a fair share of the "against" lobby on the net, granted the Yanks state their case as well, but we motorists have really done without for years is all of a sudden going to save 100's of lives:confused: Cynic that I am we just use the lights on the car if the conditions require. This has been pointed out before, & if you dont recognise these conditions, I'm of the opinion you shouldn't be driving, this indeed would be a safety measure. One less clueless driver on the road.;)

If you remove all of the above though that'd be a good 30% of drivers imo, then there would be even more of an outcry :p

Kevin Clinton head of road safety RoSPA said..."We don't think that the evidence justifies daytime running lights on vehicles in the UK..

All an opinion, lol.

I have no idea what you mean, by removing 30%of drivers imo ! & as for,only an opinion, well of course it's an opinion, somebody with an informed point of view unlike yourself who, may I add was quite willing to let others die in the name of safety. I was actually quite alarmed when you mentioned a cyclists death would more than justify this safety drive of yours:eek: There are others in a position in the commons who speak against these things but the EU one size fits all seems to have interfered again.

At the end of the day if there was positive proof that this indeed would save lives & not just a gimmick to be bandied about for sales or to suit the needs of certain parties, well that would be fine. I'm willing to look at both sides here, while you seem to be blinkered full stop.

Lets just hope youre not that cyclist eh.:p

Lets just hope youre not that cyclist eh.:p

Perhaps not the right way to look at it, but if its going to save 100 lives, and cost 1 extra life in (motor)cyclists then surly its a good thing? (Btw I am a cyclist).

:confused:

And whats this about my point of view not being informed? Having spent countless painstaking hours gathering info on this I'd have said that I'm fairly informed ;)

I'm also of the opinion another thing forced on the motorist when really not necessary, more expense that we motorists will be faced with. this may sound slightly over the top. Basically my point is, why?, when it's strictly not necessary, & before I get hit by the statistics that lives it will save, there are statistics that can say otherwise. Now we all know about statistics;)

Exactly, another facet of the nanny-state and the end of personal responsibility. Just because some idiots don't know when to turn their lights on, just make everyone drive with some lights on all the time.

Exactly, another facet of the nanny-state and the end of personal responsibility. Just because some idiots don't know when to turn their lights on, just make everyone drive with some lights on all the time.

Not this nanny state rubbish. Sure there are some ridiculous things done in the name of health and safety but this isn't one of them. Cars more visible? Bad thing?

Been a good thread this...:)
There's been a bit of selective editing, but I'd expect that. I would like to think that I'm a fair guy & I at least acknowledge that mep has at least done some work on the subject. The very fact that these lights are not necessary & it would be impossible to prove that they did indeed make difference to safety, it would also be a waste of both time & resources that could be channeled into well proven road safety projects.

I'm certainly not going to try & change peoples minds on this, I'm only passing on facts. Slightly off topic but I remember when seat belts were made compulsory, the who ha that followed was mad. Certain people claiming that their human rights were infringed etc etc but...... this indeed save lives.(y)

I'm certainly not going to try & change peoples minds on this, I'm only passing on facts. Slightly off topic but I remember when seat belts were made compulsory, the who ha that followed was mad. Certain people claiming that their human rights were infringed etc etc but...... this indeed save lives.(y)

The whole nanny state/human rights argument always makes me laugh. DRL's (at least on the 500) are switchable so at worst you've paid a little money for a feature you choose not to use :) People just don't like change.... in 10 years time if DRL's were banned the same people would whinge about how Prime Minister whoever is effectively coming into your living room and taking a dump on your firstborn childs head or some other such nonsense.

The whole nanny state/human rights argument always makes me laugh. DRL's (at least on the 500) are switchable so at worst you've paid a little money for a feature you choose not to use :) People just don't like change.... in 10 years time if DRL's were banned the same people would whinge about how Prime Minister whoever is effectively coming into your living room and taking a dump on your firstborn childs head or some other such nonsense.

Thing here for me, its not the nanny state thing, its the fact that these lights are not a proven safety item so to speak & are pointless. I'm only banging on about these small time. When I did a bit of digging there was loads of anti light forums & all sorts of information. People were asking on certain models how can I turn these things off, well educated people as well. Actually I was quite surprised on how much anti light information full stop.

Thing here for me, its not the nanny state thing, its the fact that these lights are not a proven safety item so to speak & are pointless. I'm only banging on about these small time. When I did a bit of digging there was loads of anti light forums & all sorts of information. People were asking on certain models how can I turn these things off, well educated people as well. Actually I was quite surprised on how much anti light information full stop.

I respect you for not being a nanny state whinger (y)

The problem like I said is that people don't like change. If cars had always had these then people wouldn't complain. I think people are lumping these in with foglights as being dazzling but I don't see it. The DRL bulbs on my 500 are 11w..... 20% of the power of a headlamp bulb.

I can accept that these aren't going to save hundreds of lives, but how many of us can honestly say we've never not seen a car and had a near miss, OR had the same happen to us? DRL's lessen the chance of that happening. When I had a green 406 I ALWAYS had the dipped beams on, in rural North Wales that car was as near as invisible, ditto with the wifes green Subaru.

You see this is the thing, take a look where I stay:D At the slim chance of any kind of "weather" my lights are on & this is one of my points;)
Ditto, but the "I can still see so I don't need lights" brigade think otherwise.

When I did a bit of digging there was loads of anti light forums & all sorts of information. People were asking on certain models how can I turn these things off, well educated people as well. Actually I was quite surprised on how much anti light information full stop.

Anti-light forums! Magic, and I thought I was sad.

Didn't someone say earlier that they were being made compulsory by the Euro-crats? But you can switch them off? Is that right, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Didn't someone say earlier that they were being made compulsory by the Euro-crats? But you can switch them off? Is that right, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

From Feb next year yes, but I'm not sure if the legislation allows for user configuration of the DRLs to turn them on or off.

Currently in the 500 you can switch them off. Not sure if it'll stay that way though.

a friend of mine has one of those new DS3's and it has the drl's installed in the bumper

i think they suit that car but, when you turn the lights on the drls go out an when you turn the lights off they come back on. dont know wether all cars with drls do this though

Back