General Leaving car for 2 months

Currently reading:
General Leaving car for 2 months

KurtB

Hi people,

Im having to leave my car (Stilo 1.9JTD) for about 8 weeks without being able to drive or even start it. I realise that the battery will almost certainly go flat in this time, and I wont be able to hook up a trickle charger as I will not have a plug near the car.

Would removing the battery mess up the immobiliser and radio etc? And after 8 weeks will I be able to reconnect the battery and drive off? As far as I know immobiliser and all that is standard factory fit (flashing red light on drivers door when locked, nothing aftermarket I dont think)

Anything else I should be thinking about, I realise the tyres may go flat but I got a foot pump ready and waiting in the boot! Radio and cd changer are factory fit, will I have to re-enter my code?

Hopefully I can get a jump off someone else if I cant remove the battery, but if not can you bump a diesel? I'm assuming not, but Im not 100% on this!

Cheers all.

Kurt

Last edited:
Hi Kurt, assuming your battery and all other electrical components are in good order? you should be ok! i have left cars for about 4 weeks in the past without any drama at all! i know its 8 week but should be ok! (Hope me saying this dont come back to haunt me?):rolleyes:

i left mine for exactly the same period this summer (8 weeks), and its a jtd too, didnt disconnect anything, and she started first time no problem at all. tyres didnt loose any pressure either.

the car was stored in a secure garage

Cheers for the replies, hopefully the battery will last then. If not I got some jump leads in the car just in case:D

The car will be outside in the cold though

rather you than me, if i left my moped out, i dont think it would start on first few kicks maybe about 10 haha :D
kurt, do i see a zx9r in your avatar maybe? :cool:

Cheers for the replies, hopefully the battery will last then. If not I got some jump leads in the car just in case:D

The car will be outside in the cold though

I've heard it's bad news to jump start modern cars due to all the electrics, you'd be better off just removing the battery if it's flat when you return and giving it a charge overnight.

I'm not sure if you'll need to enter the radio code if battery is flat for long period, sorry

Unless you've got a slow puncture in every tyre! or dodgy valves, they'll be fine.

Cheers for the replies again, I've jumped the car before seemed to be ok, wheras i've heard its bad to bump new cars (im guessing due to the fuel injection, making me think diesels might not like it either)

unonumero, The bike in my avatar is my old ZXR400L, which used to be left for up to 6 weeks at a time and still fire first time off the battery :) Need to get that updated I now own a stilo and a K4 gixer 600 :eek:

Back