Leave or stay? EU impact on UK motoring

Currently reading:
Leave or stay? EU impact on UK motoring

OK, I don't really like bringing up political discussions, but has anyone thought about the impact of leaving (or not) the EU on motoring and cars in particular? This is for the UK members mainly. People complain on here about EU emissions regulations but it has also come up that the requirement of accepting EU type approved cars, even if they don't meet UK regulations allows us to have things like LED headlights.
If we leave the EU we won't have any say on new regulations, but as I understand it we are likely to remain in the common market so will still have to accept euro approved cars. If we leave the common market as well then the makers will have to get their cars UK type approved. This could increase costs and / or reduce choice of models on UK market.
Thoughts?
devil.gif

them eu regs are all a con often people post from other eu countries saying they don't have them in their equivalent mots. but we always fall for it over here.
I'm voting OUT the only people who say we should stay in are the rich who wont be so rich any more if we leave and they are saying all sorts of bull to frighten people into keeping them rich, but the fools will probably fall for it and vote us in, the same as they voted for this lying government.

them eu regs are all a con often people post from other eu countries saying they don't have them in their equivalent mots. but we always fall for it over here.
I'm voting OUT the only people who say we should stay in are the rich who wont be so rich any more if we leave and they are saying all sorts of bull to frighten people into keeping them rich, but the fools will probably fall for it and vote us in, the same as they voted for this lying government.

But the MOT is a UK test, nothing to do with the EU. It won't change regardless of the outcome of the referendum. The German annual test is much more through than the UK one.

I posted a topic about this in another forum
So far its a Strong OUT vote...

I dont know what to vote for....
Alot of people are saying out - im getting alot of OUT adverts and stuff
Not seeing much for vote in tbh

Ziggy

You need to think about the impacts and also how reasonable any argument is. So far I've seen few hard facts from either camp. Quantity ins not always quality.

You need to think about the impacts and also how reasonable any argument is. So far I've seen few hard facts from either camp. Quantity ins not always quality.

I'm yet to see cohesive argument from either side. Both sides seem to be indulging in selective use of statistics to make their point.

With Boris Johnson on one side there will be no cohesive argument he'll just bumble for 20 minutes then say something bizarre. He is driving round in a bus with we send the EU 350 million every week on the side...a figure which is only out by 100 million a week when other relevant facts are taken into account (rebate) . Then even that reduced figure doesn't factor in that of the after rebate membership fees of 13 billion a year (not 18 as leave will tell you) we get 4 billion back in EU subsidies. Of course on the other side is Cameron who can always be trusted to serve himself and his friends in business.

They could easily have divided the 9 billion by 52 instead and still had a compelling 175 million a week instead when rounded up as they have done with the 350. When the "facts" are of this quality it's a crap shoot. I'd be tempted to vote stay just because if the headline figure the leave campaign is based on is so obviously flawed then the rest of the "facts" they give are probably just as accurate.

Last edited:
I'm yet to see cohesive argument from either side. Both sides seem to be indulging in selective use of statistics to make their point.

With Boris Johnson on one side there will be no cohesive argument he'll just bumble for 20 minutes then say something bizarre. He is driving round in a bus with we send the EU 350 million every week on the side...a figure which is only out by 100 million a week when other relevant facts are taken into account (rebate) . Then even that reduced figure doesn't factor in that of the after rebate membership fees of 13 billion a year (not 18 as leave will tell you) we get 4 billion back in EU subsidies. Of course on the other side is Cameron who can always be trusted to serve himself and his friends in business.

They could easily have divided the 9 billion by 52 instead and still had a compelling 175 million a week instead when rounded up as they have done with the 350. When the "facts" are of this quality it's a crap shoot. I'd be tempted to vote stay just because if the headline figure the leave campaign is based on is so obviously flawed then the rest of the "facts" they give are probably just as accurate.

how do you know Boris isn't a plant and spouting wrong facts is all part of the Tories plan to stop you making them worse off and you better off.

there is a lot more crap being shat out by the stay toffs

“A Telegraph poll yesterday indicated that men, in particular, were switching to Remain. But it’s women who tend to be the ones trying to find the school places and booking the appointments with the overburdened GP.
“It's middle-aged daughters who navigate the broken care system for elderly parents. Pregnant women who feel the effect of nearly half of all maternity units being forced to close their doors for up to three days because there’s too much demand.
“It’s mums who are in the frontline for public services, mums who are best placed to see what a terrible strain they’re under.”

Last edited:
LED headlights and what not are all well and good but if there is a differentiation between EU and UK vehicles (not that there should be as most manufactures build to a world wide standard) we may not be able to drive around continental Europe as freely as we do now.

Obviously when visiting any foreign land we have to respect and stick to their rules, guidelines and laws (spare, bulbs, hi-viz, fire extinguisher and first aid kit carried at all times for example) but without the EU connection we're sitting ducks waiting for a few hundred Euro fine every time we venture off shore.

Good business opportunity for someone to open a car hire place in Dover with left hookers and EU plates. Drive your car there, hire a continental car and pick yours up when you get back. It could be cheaper and less hassle than driving a right hand drive car with "pull me over" plates and stickers on the headlights.

I'm off to Dragons Den...

how do you know Boris isn't a plant and spouting wrong facts is all part of the Tories plan to stop you making them worse off and you better off.

there is a lot more crap being shat out by the stay toffs

“A Telegraph poll yesterday indicated that men, in particular, were switching to Remain. But it’s women who tend to be the ones trying to find the school places and booking the appointments with the overburdened GP.
“It's middle-aged daughters who navigate the broken care system for elderly parents. Pregnant women who feel the effect of nearly half of all maternity units being forced to close their doors for up to three days because there’s too much demand.
“It’s mums who are in the frontline for public services, mums who are best placed to see what a terrible strain they’re under.”

Given Cameron I wouldn't be surprised if Boris had been asked to take the fall and will get a peerage in the future my point was with that quality of information how the hell are are you meant to come to an informed decision?

OK, I don't really like bringing up political discussions, but has anyone thought about the impact of leaving (or not) the EU on motoring and cars in particular? This is for the UK members mainly. People complain on here about EU emissions regulations but it has also come up that the requirement of accepting EU type approved cars, even if they don't meet UK regulations allows us to have things like LED headlights.
If we leave the EU we won't have any say on new regulations, but as I understand it we are likely to remain in the common market so will still have to accept euro approved cars. If we leave the common market as well then the makers will have to get their cars UK type approved. This could increase costs and / or reduce choice of models on UK market.
Thoughts?
devil.gif

So if we stay in the eu then there will be no changes. If we leave the eu then they will have to bring in new legislation to cover eu type approved cars in the uk given than non of the cars made in the last 20 years conform to our old and out of date laws.

Also motor manufacturing is one of our biggest exports with 1.5M cars manufactured hear each year and over two thirds being exported.

So what ever happens the impact on the motor industry will be minimised, and it certainly won't affect us on the ground.

My real gripe with all this is, as has been stated before, I've struggled to get a comprehensive and solid argument from either side. A lot of the arguments seem to be flawed, wrong, whatever.
Besides, motoring, yes important, but probably not the most vital thing.

I'm inclined to vote stay.

Simply because sure, what we've got now is silly, perhaps, flawed, perhaps, but it kind of works. And I think voting out, would mean we'd have to redraft so much legislation, renegotiate deals, and who knows for sure what the outcome would be?
It hasn't been done, so I struggle to see how we could for certain say what the changes would be.

Until I see some truly independent facts and figures, and LOOK AT ME HEADLINES about it, I can form a decision.

Last edited:
Indeed, leaving will not reduce the euro compliance and emissions equipment of the cars on sale in the UK, but if we leave the EU we will no longer have any say on new requirements brought in by the EU and imposed on us by default.

Not the case at all, this would be all very dependent on the arrangements of the withdrawal. What you're saying implies an arrangement would be automatically the same sort of arrangement as Norway currently operates under

Last edited:
It hasn't been done, so I struggle to see how we could for certain say what the changes would be.

it has been done we haven't always been in the EU before the eu we had industry, if you didn't like your job you could leave it in the morning and get another one in the afternoon, we had less but what we did have was constant and secure, if you got too sick and couldn't work you got paid benefits, if you worked hard all your life you got a pension and could retire at a decent age. if you were ill you could make an appointment go see a doctor and talk to them for as long as needed, or they would even come to your house.

it has been done we haven't always been in the EU before the eu we had industry, if you didn't like your job you could leave it in the morning and get another one in the afternoon, we had less but what we did have was constant and secure, if you got too sick and couldn't work you got paid benefits, if you worked hard all your life you got a pension and could retire at a decent age. if you were ill you could make an appointment go see a doctor and talk to them for as long as needed, or they would even come to your house.

Most of these changes have nothing to do with the E.U. and more to do with the disintegration of the British empire, global competition, an aging population, societal inequality and decisions made in stock exchanges around the world..

Japan has suffered many of the same issues..it's not in the eu.

Last edited:
Most of these changes have nothing to do with the E.U. and more to do with the disintegration of the British empire, global competition, an aging population, societal inequality and decisions made in stock exchanges around the world..

Japan has suffered many of the same issues..it's not in the eu.

got a cousin and his family in japan and he much better off over there than here

a lot of the global competion is because of the EU trade deals to import stuff we used to make

Last edited:
it has been done we haven't always been in the EU before the eu

Absolutely correct.

Whilst I don't know whether all that was related to the EU (heck I wasnt here then), we've never left, the EU. And that's the fundamental thing. We've never seen (at least recently) how leaving would impact a country, especially not one that's been so heavily involved in international politics. Could be a bit of a trial by fire were we to leave.

We have industry now, UK manufacturing is stronger than ever, we're the 11th biggest manufacturing country in the world which for a tiny rock in the Atlantic compared to the likes of India, China, America, Russia, Korea etc puts us in a very strong place.
What we don't do is knock out a billion pairs of knickers and biros, but we now tend to be associated with quality goods and services and complicated high end products other countries can't make reliably.

Many places have unfilled posts at the moment and recruiting for businesses is becoming harder than ever. Recently at work we wanted a receptionist and could not find one for love nor money, people just didn't apply for a basic receptionist job with a 20k a year salary.

If you're too sick now and can't work there are benefits, sadly though years of people playing the system have spoiled this for the genuine people. We all knew people growing up who didn't work after losing their jobs in recessions and spent the rest of there life on the sick. Someone I went to school with back in the 80s, father literally did nothing for the rest of his life when the factory he worked in closed down and he spent the next 20 years watching tv and smoking, eventually dying from complications of the latter.

My parents are retiring at a decent age and I have a good pension I pay into every month, so I don't expect to have problems come retirement age. I can get an appointment at my doctor, once finishing work at 5, driving over an hour to get home and my GP fitted me in for an appointment after 6pm. After which I walked across the road to pick up my tablets and went home. The reason we have such problems with the health system is because people abuse it and themselves. In the 60's we didn't have the huge levels of diabetes, obesity and heart disease, liver disease and cancer. Much of which could be argued to be down to lifestyle choices. People didn't used to go to A&E for a cold or a sore finger 3 weeks after symptoms began, without taking so much as a paracetamol.

Many of the problems we have these days are caused by an overwhelming sense of entitlement and irresponsible attitudes to society. "The governmen, council, schools, NHS, etc, should fix my problems." And the "It's not my fault I'm (insert problem here) beliefs.

Last edited:
Back