Technical Leaky radiator pipe - quick fix?

Currently reading:
Technical Leaky radiator pipe - quick fix?

Vicksmad

So my Grande Punto has developed a leak on this pipe. tried some rad weld, sealed the hole, but when I opened the coolant the next day to check the level hadn’t dropped it went “glug, glug, glug” and started leaking again.

Anyone got any other suggestion for a quick fix. My mechanic can’t fit me in for 10 days, and by then I’ll probably have a new car (cash coming next weekend).

I just need it to get to work and back a couple of times next week (2miles away) and to the supermarket.

Attachments

• 4B123E1F-5285-43DC-8F77-0A7C15F56391.jpeg
    4B123E1F-5285-43DC-8F77-0A7C15F56391.jpeg
    893.5 KB · Views: 71
So my Grande Punto has developed a leak on this pipe. tried some rad weld, sealed the hole, but when I opened the coolant the next day to check the level hadn’t dropped it went “glug, glug, glug” and started leaking again.

Anyone got any other suggestion for a quick fix. My mechanic can’t fit me in for 10 days, and by then I’ll probably have a new car (cash coming next weekend).

I just need it to get to work and back a couple of times next week (2miles away) and to the supermarket.
You could try that hose tape, the glassfibre one that, as soon as you take it out of wrapper it gets hot, wrap it really tightly and quickly…I’ve used it before and it got me out of a tight spot…it’s a bit like modern bandages that are used for quick casts

Basics..

Radweld is not ideal..

If anybody want to get a reliable 6 months from the car.. they will change that rusted through pipe

Then change the coolant

With that in mind:

Top up with tap water.. over fill.. fit cap

Do your 5 minute trips..

Check level with a torch ;)

You dont need to remove that cap..!!!

you can get a two part puty you mix together and it then sets hard as metal, might be worth a punt to get you through till you can get a new car, oh and carry a big bottle of water in the boot. Another option might be to put another flexible pipe over it and clamp it eitherside of the leak if you can see Where the water is coming from and you have enough space.

if it’s only 10 days till you’ll be looking at a new car id be just bodging it till then

Whoa, that must be a high mileage car! I never thought that the pipe could look like that. o_O

The scabby state of that hose.. I would worry about it breaking if manipulated..

Maybe a few turns of gaffertape : ducttape

With a cable tie securing each end might help..

It wont actually get super hot in a 5 minute run ;)
I have an assortment of duct tapes I can strongly recommend Gorilla tape. Its in a different league of stikiness and strength to all the others.

Back