General Leaky fuel tank

Currently reading:
General Leaky fuel tank

FePunto

Hi guys, my Punto 60s just failed MOT due to 'leaky fuel tank', any idea if this means the fuel pump or the tank itself? How much approximately to have it repaired? Just had this punto for 1 month, already so many problems - rusty exhaust, clutch, now the fuel tank... bad luck indeed:(

i had all my petrol syphoned off about a year a go so i guess i ended up with a leaky tank too! its a plastic tank and costs a fortune through fiat. i went round a couple of scrapies and sourced a tank and fuel pump inc paying the girlfriend for petrol all for £40. fitted myself. if you do choose to this getting the car higher of the floor will aide your efforts. the handbrake cables that run under the tankget in the way and with the car low down the angle for the exit of the tank is really tight but if the car was higher up this problem wouldnt have been half as bad. took me about 2hours all done and dusted.

Thanks buddy, I am really not confident that I can do the job myself. How much do you think it's gonna cost if I have it done with Fiat? What about a local garage, is there anyway to patch the leak without replacing the tank? Many thanks again!

FePunto said:
Thanks buddy, I am really not confident that I can do the job myself. How much do you think it's gonna cost if I have it done with Fiat? What about a local garage, is there anyway to patch the leak without replacing the tank? Many thanks again!

Where do you live FePunto? someone might be able to give you a hand(y)

well fiat quoted me £400 for just the plastic tank, so its either source the bits you need then see if its worth £20 to someone on here to help you out or take it to an independent garage to get them to fit it (or you could get them to get the bits from a scrappy but this would cost more). it should be no more than £50 labour i would think (based on £25 an hour) so all in all i would say £100. like i said its easy to do aslong as you can get your car up higher than those car ramps do ie over 30cm.

as regards to fixing the tank, i guess it could be plastic welded but it aint worth it for what you can source bits for at a scrappy.

alex you just served as a blessing! i was playing online poker whilst i was replying to you and flicked back to check and acidently called a $200 hand with ****e cards and pulled through on the flop. cheers mate!!!!!

Thanks guys! Took the car to a local garage yesterday, they told me it was a leaky fuel pump. Unfortunately they didn't have the pump and ordering one would take 3 days. Since I'm going to use the car tomorrow, so I phoned up the fiat dealer, they gave me a quote of £280. Seems I have no other choice but to let them do the job! £280 for a plastic pump!

WHAT NO NO NO!!!!! pick one up for a £5 from a scrappy!!!!!!! you can easily fit the pump yourself. i will take pictures of what you have to do and supply you with a step by step if need be. i really don't want to see you spending £280 on the pump!!!!!!!!!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi, Raptor, thanks again. I checked the service manual, it seems i don't even have to lift the car to do the job. The pump's located right under the rear seat. If so, I'd like to give it a go myself.

yeah you just lift the back seat ( i removed it using 8mm allen key to give me more space) then there are 3 cross head screws undo them and there is the fuel pump! carefully remove the quick fit pipes and electrical connector (might be useful to mark which one is which, they are marked with arrows on the pump) unscrew the big plastic nut that keeps the pump in place. this might be really tight so persevere. keep an old towel handy as when you remove the pump it will be covered in petrol and you don't want it to spill in your car! chuck out the old and in with the new, just be really careful refitting the new pump especially when it comes ot fitting the pipes back on as if you have fitted a used pump the petrol sends the connectors brittle and liable to snap, just be careful and you'll be fine.

let us know how you get on, and any probs just post on here.

Josh

Thanks Josh, I've already ordered a pump from ebay, which should arrive tomorrow. I'll follow the service manual to get it done! Those bastards at EMG motors Cambridge charged me 65 pounds labor cost for inspection before I took the car back. They didn't inspect sxxt, except for leaving a greasy palm mark on my rear seat! Maybe my american accent made them think I was another stupid cash cow! I'll let you guys know once i got the job done!

Back